Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th July 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
apolaki

Default Can anyone assist with Shipping swords Internationally

From what I understand, you can sometimes carry in checked in luggage. (but I think my particular airlines restricts it)

Some countries allow it to be mailed but you have to check with customs both point of origin and destination (for me it is Taiwan to USA) and also provide declaration & pay tax?

Lastly, I heard you can ship it Fed Ex, but I dont know anything else about it.

Has anyone had experience shipping swords internationally, I would greatly appreciate your advice as I am just a novice in this field.
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
kahnjar1

The answer to your question lies in the laws of the two countries involved and what they say about carriage of restricted or other weapons. As far as packing in your CHECKED luggage, it would depend on the airline knowing what was in your suitcase. In these days of luggage X Ray my reaction would be NOT to try and do something which is seen to be illegal or disallowed. I have found normal postage as the easiest way, though Fedex also seems trouble free, but that may depend on the country/s involved.Also the Permit requirements for export and import vary considerably between countries, so make sure you have the right bit of paper.
Bottom line....do your homework first or it may cost you........
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
thinreadline

Kahnjar is quite correct , you must check on the regulations of both countries involved . If carrying the items in your checked in luggage then you must study the regulations of the airline concerned ( this is always available on the website of the airline under restricted / prohibited items ) . I do a lot of international shipping of edged weapons and have never had any problems if posted , except with Australia where the buyer had omitted to fill in an impotation licence for the item, so it was sent back to me by the Australian customs . Regarding the carriage of weaponry in your checked on luggage , this is something I have only done between the USA & the UK . I have done this about 20 times with no problem at all even though in every instance my suitcases held over 40 edged weapons each ! The US authorities had opened the cases every time and were even kind enough to leave a note to that effect but nothing was illegal , therefore no problem ! In fact on most US / European airlines , there is no problem shipping even modern firearms and ammunition in your checked in cases , though American Airlines are mean enough to restrict you to 6 handguns and 7 kg of ammo !
Good luck but study the rules .. its easy with the net .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
apolaki

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Indeed, I think my airline prohibits carrying swords even in checked in luggage:

"Eva Air Prohibted baggage

There are items that cannot be transported onboard the aircraft in either your carry-on or checked baggage:

Dangerous goods that endanger the aircraft, persons or property onboard the aircraft:

Other dangerous articles such as magnetized material, offensive or irritating materials (such as knives, swords,offensive sticks,clubs,arrows,tear-gas,stun-gun etc.)"

So I think I have to ship it either Taiwan Post office or Fed Ex. Have any of you had experience with Shipping swords? I have heard of the word EMS but I dont quite understand the meaning and its relation to shipping.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Kahnjar is quite correct , you must check on the regulations of both countries involved . If carrying the items in your checked in luggage then you must study the regulations of the airline concerned ( this is always available on the website of the airline under restricted / prohibited items ) . I do a lot of international shipping of edged weapons and have never had any problems if posted , except with Australia where the buyer had omitted to fill in an impotation licence for the item, so it was sent back to me by the Australian customs . Regarding the carriage of weaponry in your checked on luggage , this is something I have only done between the USA & the UK . I have done this about 20 times with no problem at all even though in every instance my suitcases held over 40 edged weapons each ! The US authorities had opened the cases every time and were even kind enough to leave a note to that effect but nothing was illegal , therefore no problem ! In fact on most US / European airlines , there is no problem shipping even modern firearms and ammunition in your checked in cases , though American Airlines are mean enough to restrict you to 6 handguns and 7 kg of ammo !
Good luck but study the rules .. its easy with the net .
Old 14th July 2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Sajen

EMS is a shipping organization like DHL or Fedex.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 02:21 AM   #6
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolaki
..... I have heard of the word EMS but I dont quite understand the meaning and its relation to shipping.

Thanks again!
Hullo apolaki,
EMS is an international postal Express Mail Service, for documents and merchandise, offered by postal operators in countries who are members of the Universal Postal Union (UPU), an inter-governmental organization. E.g. USPS has EMS, IndonesiaPost has EMS. Check out this site: http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet...postal_f_6.jsp
Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 03:14 AM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

I HAVE ONLY VISITED TAIWAN ONCE AND THE CUSTOMS PEOPLE DO GET UPSET EASILY. I CAME IN FROM THE PHILIPPINES WITH A LARGE SUITCASE FULL OF SWORDS AND KNIVES. THEY SWARMED ALL OVER MY STUFF , FINALLY AN ENGLISH SPEAKER SHOWED UP AND EXPLAINED I COULD NOT BRING THEM INTO THE COUNTRY. THEY ALLOWED ME TO LEAVE THE ITEMS AT THE AIRPORT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF CUSTOMS WHERE I COULD PICK THEM UP WHEN I LEFT.
ALL WAS WELL AND I HAD A GOOD VISIT BUT DID NOT PICK UP ANY KNIVES THERE. WHEN I LEFT I WANTED MY SWORDS TO PUT IN MY LUGGAGE TO CHECK. NOT ALLOWED SO I ENDED UP STANDING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF CUSTOMS BUT BEFORE THE SECURITY CHECK WITH A PACKAGE FULL OF EDGED WEAPONS. I SAW SOME PILOTS AND CREW AND FOUND THEY WERE FLYING MY FLIGHT AND THEY VOLENTERED TO TAKE MY STUFF ON WITH THEM AND THEN GIVE IT BACK TO ME WHEN I DEBARKED. ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL BUT ONE HAS TO THINK FAST BECAUSE OFTEN LOGIC AND REGULATIONS HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON. PERHAPS IF YOU ASK THE AIRLINE IF YOU CAN CARRY A SOUVINEER OF ETHINOGRAPHIC TRIBAL ART IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE EVEN THOUGH IT IS A SWORD PERHAPS THEY WOULD BE REASONABLE. GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 03:31 AM   #8
christek

Hello all,

I feel this may be the suitable forum to place the subject of my concern. On a similar topic regarding international post; I have recently purchased a sword from Peru - using economy shipping to Australia. It has been over 5 weeks now and I still have not received my item Should I now be concerned? Is it normal for items such as swords to take this long to ship? Thank you.

Kind regards,
Chris
christek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 03:56 AM   #9
DaveA

Default Golf club bag

I once brought a very nice Austrian saber back from Germany. I had been carrying it around in a "travel" golf club bag during my tour of Europe. The Lufthansa agent at first was adamant that I could not check the bag with the sword, that I would not be admitted into the US. I asked her if it was a Lufthansa rule, or a rule of US Customs. She waffled and said US Customs. So after I told her it was my responsibility and I would handle any issues with US Customs she finally allowed me to check the bag with the sword . (Note: People are waiting in line behind me, and this was taking time.) On arriving at the US, they just waived me on through Customs with only a few questions, none about my golf club bag. I got lucky that time!
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 06:35 AM   #10
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by christek
Hello all,

I feel this may be the suitable forum to place the subject of my concern. On a similar topic regarding international post; I have recently purchased a sword from Peru - using economy shipping to Australia. It has been over 5 weeks now and I still have not received my item Should I now be concerned? Is it normal for items such as swords to take this long to ship? Thank you.

Kind regards,
Chris
Hullo Chris,
Economy from Peru to Australia can take over a month before you receive it (usually longer than regular). Even a Registered article from there can take months (defies logic). The delay could be anywhere. (If the item was bought on THAT site, then I'd lodge an unfavourable feedback after four weeks, no buts.)The 'best' way (though still quite unsatisfactory), is to have the article sent by a service that uses tracking. This way, at least you can check whether the item has been posted, left country of origin, in transit, arrived at country of destination, cleared customs etc. Don't be surprised if 'transparency' of the tracking becomes an 'issue' when using a service with 'Track & Trace'.
Best,
Old 15th July 2012, 07:15 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo Chris,
Economy from Peru to Australia can take over a month before you receive it (usually longer than regular). Even a Registered article from there can take months (defies logic). The delay could be anywhere. (If the item was bought on THAT site, then I'd lodge an unfavourable feedback after four weeks, no buts.)The 'best' way (though still quite unsatisfactory), is to have the article sent by a service that uses tracking. This way, at least you can check whether the item has been posted, left country of origin, in transit, arrived at country of destination, cleared customs etc. Don't be surprised if 'transparency' of the tracking becomes an 'issue' when using a service with 'Track & Trace'.
Best,
I post items daily and tracking is definately the best option and experience will eventually lead one to a better understanding of how long things take point to point and what services are best bang for buck....interestingly though a good friend here sent me a parcel from Germany with tracking and 20 days later it arrives in Australia, then 2 days later goes to Peru to be signed for by some chap called Jesus....panic set in and needless to say we both thought WTF....well another 3 days later the parcel arrives with me and now the tracking shows Jesus and I have signed for and received the same parcel....moral of the story always be prepared for the worse, things can happen.
With regards to your current situation, I would pack it up very well, label it clearly to the address to be sent to, ensure a clear contact phone number is under the address. Delcare it as decorative metalware and send through the post with express mail and tracking.
All the best!

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 15th July 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 07:47 AM   #12
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuk Murugul
Hullo Chris,
Best,
Suggesting leaving unfavourable feedback is quite unfair .. if the postal service of Peru is slow, that has nothing to do with the seller ! 'Economy' post normally means surface ie by ship ... that works by filling shipping containers with post from Peru to the country of destination. The container only leaves when full and that can be an awful long time if you are waiting for items from Peru to Australia to accumulate ! Even the UK with its more effective postal service will take 10 - 12 weeks economy to Australia . However surface mail is usually around half the price of normal airmail.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 08:16 AM   #13
christek

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
I would back it up very well, label it clearly to the address to be sent to, ensure a clear contact phone number is under the address. Delcare it as decorative metalware and send through the post with express mail and tracking.
I hope the seller is as competent as you Gav, but I am having my doubts.

Thanks for the help gentlemen,

The item was purchased from 'that site' and I do not consider leaving unfavourable feedback lightly (especially considering the seller has 100% positive feedback). In saying this, the seller is increasingly frustrating me as contacts regarding my concerns are not at all being answered to date I also payed quite a sum for postage and have my doubts whether the sum was the correct amount for economy shipping. But I know little regarding this and will do some more research. In any case, I appreciate the comments as I now understand it can take much longer than I anticipated.

Kind regards,
Chris
Old 15th July 2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Suggesting leaving unfavourable feedback is quite unfair .. i....
Agreed, but, I have reached my limit of tolerance with non-productive, attempted 'dialogue' with postal agencies, sellers and THAT-site team, on occasions when I have had just grievances over transactions which leave me out-of-pocket with nothing to show for them but philosophical shrugs.
At least with a negative feedback, I get to register my dissatisfaction before the item disappears from the listing. Then in ensuing feedback replies (which is accessible even after the item has disappeared from the listing) I get to point the finger at the appropriate quarter (and apologize to the innocent). This helps people who read feedback scores.
Best,
Old 15th July 2012, 09:56 AM   #15
apolaki

What do you mean by Declaring it decorative metal ware? is there a form you have to fill out to Declare the contents prior to shipping a sword internationally, and if so where do you obtain the form?

Quote:
I post items daily and tracking is definately the best option and experience will eventually lead one to a better understanding of how long things take point to point and what services are best bang for buck....interestingly though a good friend here sent me a parcel from Germany with tracking and 20 days later it arrives in Australia, then 2 days later goes to Peru to be signed for by some chap called Jesus....panic set in and needless to say we both thought WTF....well another 3 days later the parcel arrives with me and now the tracking shows Jesus and I have signed for and received the same parcel....moral of the story always be prepared for the worse, things can happen.
With regards to your current situation, I would pack it up very well, label it clearly to the address to be sent to, ensure a clear contact phone number is under the address. Delcare it as decorative metalware and send through the post with express mail and tracking.
All the best!

Gav
Old 15th July 2012, 11:36 AM   #16
apolaki

Has anyone ever imported a sword into the Philippines?

I know there is a seller on ebay who sells muslim swords from the Philippines to the US.

So I was thinking I can probably do the same.
Old 16th July 2012, 05:21 AM   #17
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Has anyone ever imported a sword into the Philippines?

I know there is a seller on ebay who sells muslim swords from the Philippines to the US.

So I was thinking I can probably do the same.
You'll be fine, I have sent a lot in to the Philippines and others out, just us EMS trackable or similar postal service, no need for Fedex etc.

Where it says description of the article within, label it decorative metalware.

Gav
Old 17th July 2012, 05:47 AM   #18
apolaki

Actually I am planning to store the sword (approx 28 inches) in checked in luggages when I fly Philippine Airlines from Taipei, Taiwan to Manila, Philippines.

Do you know if that will be no problem and if I need to fill out any speical form to declare its in my baggage?

Thanks! I'm flying out in approximately 3 days so I would truly appreciate your feedback.

Quote:
You'll be fine, I have sent a lot in to the Philippines and others out, just us EMS trackable or similar postal service, no need for Fedex etc.

Where it says description of the article within, label it decorative metalware.

Gav
Old 17th July 2012, 06:30 AM   #19
kahnjar1

Quote:
Actually I am planning to store the sword (approx 28 inches) in checked in luggages when I fly Philippine Airlines from Taipei, Taiwan to Manila, Philippines.

Do you know if that will be no problem and if I need to fill out any speical form to declare its in my baggage?

Thanks! I'm flying out in approximately 3 days so I would truly appreciate your feedback.
I have to go back to my first response. YOU MUST PERSONALLY CHECK WITH THE AIRLINE AND MAKE YOURSELF AWARE OF THE LAWS RELATING TO EXPORT AND IMPORT FROM THE COUNTRIES INVOLVED. We can only give you a precis of our own experiences but we are not the law.
Good luck. Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 08:10 AM   #20
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I have to go back to my first response. YOU MUST PERSONALLY CHECK WITH THE AIRLINE AND MAKE YOURSELF AWARE OF THE LAWS RELATING TO EXPORT AND IMPORT FROM THE COUNTRIES INVOLVED. We can only give you a precis of our own experiences but we are not the law.
Good luck. Regards Stu
I couldn't agree more! In this case, many airlines and borders crossed at face value....Personally I'd leave it in the hands of a postal carrier, especially in todays sensitive and political climate!!!

Gavin
Old 17th July 2012, 09:08 AM   #21
christek

Angry

Hi gentlemen,

I would like to add that I have finally been contacted in regards to my sword. What I can understand (very poor English) is that the sword is being help by Peru customs and not being allowed out of the country due to it being an antique piece Is this even possible? The seller has told me that they are trying to fix my problem with their customs and that I can get a refund if I want. I am very confused now. Has anyone ever experienced this problem in Peru or any other nation? Thanks.

Kind regards
Chris
Old 17th July 2012, 04:52 PM   #22
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

There are some nations that prohibit the export of antiques native to the culture ..
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote