Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2007, 06:22 PM   #1
katana

Default Video footage of Masai spear throwing

Hi, found this on You-tube and thought it may be of interest. Masai practicing spear throwing.
The lion spears shown are shorter than I expected, obviously to make throwing easier, I have a similar sized spear head...but always thought it belonged to a junior warrior class....now I am not so sure....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uTyG...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9Iw...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbYPsczkdJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocUtEEymsM

Blood letting of a cow for food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIL5ursK3c

Last edited by katana; 16th February 2007 at 06:42 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

To me these clips look like a game or sport like skittles or throwing horse shoes. They are not using the blade? not to damage it? I really do not know, nothing like the old spears. The distance in these clip is 8-10 paces and a very downward trajectory. For whitey on holiday it is probably great fun.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 07:27 PM   #3
katana

Hi Tim, I appreciate that they are a bit 'touristy', but other clips of Masai life show these shorter spears being carried in areas (home villages) away from the 'circus'.

There is another video showing hunting in Africa, some with the use of rifle and Landrovers but also footage of Tribesmen (unknown) hunting with spears. It is alittle disturbing for the average Westerner. Buffalo, Elephant, Hippo's all become prey as a large group of spear wielding hunters throw spear after spear into the unfortunate animals.
I have reservations about posting the link, firstly some will find this upsetting and secondly, my sound card is dead and I have no idea as to the narrative. But, at the end of the day, we are collectors of objects that kill, maim and mutilate.....so I have posted the link. If the moderators feel that this is inappropriate please remove the link.

If following this link, please read above....I do not want to offend anyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htimBdLg6es&NR

Last edited by katana; 16th February 2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 16th February 2007, 08:07 PM   #4
sabertasche

Well, I watched the video, nice music. As to the hunting, seems a shame to hunt and kill such wonderful animals just for sport - this is directed to the guys with the 300 magnum, $5,000. hunting rifles.

For the guys with the spears, wow. Taking on a elaphant with a spear takes some serious stones. Facinating. Likewise with the hippos, it is my understanding that they are most dangerous of all.

The last part seems to show some poachers caught in the act and shooting at the helicopter

Finally, the inane comments from the lowlife who have no idea of the context of the video as it's a compilation of videos without any frame of referance. Maybe the hunters with the expensive guns were culling diseased animals You just don't know.

Somewhere on the net I saw a video of some idiot on safari, getting out of the truck to take some pics of a lion pride. The lions caught him and ate him. I found that video pretty disturbing. Anyway, I found the video quite interesting.

Greg
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 08:23 PM   #5
katana

Hi Greg,
I agree, hunting for sport,with high powered rifles, to me is distasteful and hardly 'sporting'.

But hunting with spears is a whole new ball game ...and yes AFAIK Hippo's have killed more humans in Africa than any other animal. An agitated Hippo is extremely dangerous and are surprisingly quick and agile (over short distances) Apparently their breath is absolutely foul .......but I don't think it could kill you
Old 16th February 2007, 09:21 PM   #6
ariel

I recommend old John Wayne's movie "Hatari!".
Better shots and no gore.
I have nothing against hunting or rare steaks; I just do not want to be the butcher, that's aLL.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 09:41 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Very strange video. I agree that i am not very impressed with Great White Hunter taking out elephants with a big gun, even if he is culling the herd, but it take some serious cojones to stand up to a full size elephant with only a spear. Still painful to watch.
Am i crazy or is that a mass human grave at the very end followed by a scorched massacre of more human bodies. I am not sure what the point of the video is, especially given the title and the choice of clips, especially at the end.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 10:51 PM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

THE IDEA OF THINING THE HERD ON ANY KIND OF ANIMAL IS TO KILL THE ANIMAL IN THE FASTEST MOST HUMANE WAY TO CAUSE THE LEAST SUFFERING. THE HIGH POWERED RIFLE IS DEFINITELY THE BEST WAY TO GO ESPECIALLY WITH A ELEPHANT AS THEY ARE EXTREMELY HARD TO KILL.
THE HIPPO WAS A FEMALE WITH TWO YOUNG ONES ONE CALF WAS PROBABLY A BIT LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD. THEY WERE ISOLATED AND IN A SMALL POOL AND HAD LITTLE CHANCE OF ESCAPE BUT WERE PROBABLY EATEN AS THE ELEPHANTS CULLED FROM HERDS ARE. THE ELEPHANT THAT WAS SPEARED SEEMED TO BE CAUGHT IN A SNARE AS HE WAS NOT ABLE TO FLEE OR CHARGE THE PEOPLE AND JUST HAD TO STAND THERE AND TAKE IT AND BE FILMED NOTHING BRAVE OR GLORIOUS ABOUT THAT.

THE CAPE BUFFALOW WERE THE MOST DANGEROUS TO THE HUNTERS IN ALL THE FILMS. OF COURSE MAN IS THE MOST DANGEROUS OF ALL NOTHING IS SAFE FROM HIM EVEN OTHER MEN , WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

I AM UNSURE WHAT THE IDEA WAS WITH THE SPEAR THROWING THE MASAI HAVE VERY GOOD THROWING SPEARS BUT WERE THROWING LION SPEARS BUTT FIRST WHICH DOSEN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE AS THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THROWING OR USED THAT WAY NORMALY. IT LOOKED LIKE A GOOD WAY TO CUT YOUR HAND OR LOSE A EAR TO ME.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote