Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th June 2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Niuweidao or Ox Tail Chinese

Unusually good fittings IMHO. Most of these I have seen were more primitive. Black Lacquered scabbard. A serious chopper.

These got very popular in the Kung Fu movies.

Comments?
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 11:44 PM   #2
kai

Hello Bill,

The blade probably calls for a full polish - maybe a brief staining with vinegar may already reveal hints on what a qualified polisher like Philip Tom will be able to bring out...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 11:57 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Bill,

The blade probably calls for a full polish - maybe a brief staining with vinegar may already reveal hints on what a qualified polisher like Philip Tom will be able to bring out...

Regards,
Kai
Hi Kai,

I will try a light vinegar and take some more pics.

Bill
Old 9th June 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Bill,
Very interesting ox tail, pretty consistant with so many brought back from China during Boxer Rebellion and early 20th c. I always get a little nervous trying to properly identify these, in case Rodell and Tom are watching
I have always been under the impression that the intricate wrap on the grip of this suggests older examples, but the blade and certainly the mounts are 19th c. Qing, probably latter.

Although there has been a lot of fuss about the stuff out of China, lots of stuff got out of there before thier huge 'antique' industry took off. Its hard to really imagine how much 'bringback' stuff is out there.

In any case, I've always considered these Chinese swords attractive examples of a most interesting period in our history, makes me want to watch "55 Days at Peking" and "Sand Pebbles" again

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 09:26 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

I feel awful saying this but I am a little unsure as to the age you say this to be. Looking at the cord it seems a little fresh. The metal fittings also look stained but not used. I am sorry but like myself with some South Seas stuff I have post here. Sometimes the s---- hits the fan. This piece troubles me.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 09:27 PM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Bill,
Very interesting ox tail, pretty consistent with so many brought back from China during Boxer Rebellion and early 20th c. I always get a little nervous trying to properly identify these, in case Rodell and Tom are watching
I have always been under the impression that the intricate wrap on the grip of this suggests older examples, but the blade and certainly the mounts are 19th c. Qing, probably latter.

All the best,
Jim
Hi Jim,

I think you have the description right because I bought this from Phillip Tom and Scott Rodell and that is what they said.

BTW just met Paul Chen. Atlanta Blade Show. Maybe I'll take a few of my Chinese swords over tomorrow.

108 THOUSAND square feet of sharp pointy things, and about 3 antique pieces.