Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2013, 08:24 PM   #1
KraVseR

Default Weapons of warriors from Omo river

Hello!
What weapons were used by the warriors, who live near the Omo River? I'm talking about Mursi, Karo (Ethiopia), Nyangatom and others.
Except for Kalash, of course
Attached Images

KraVseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

This is good region for discussion. Many members will be able to post pictures of weapons used in this area. I have a few example from these lands. Again this is an area that has a shared material culture. So it is not always possible to say that a weapon is exclusive to one group of people over a vast region. I will try to post some pictures over the weekend. This link is a good source of information on this region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilemi_Triangle
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 06:44 AM   #3
KraVseR

OK, I'm waiting
Old 11th August 2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

This link is worth exploring. You can click on the map or people names. All these regions border Ethiopia; Blue Nile, Upper Nile, Jonglei, and Eastern Equatoria in the disputed Ilemi Triangle. Traditional material culture and weaponry will be similar in this region. You have to remember that the borders between the tribal peoples in the Ilemi Triangle are modern colonial lines on the map.

http://southernsudan.prm.ox.ac.uk/sudan_map.php
Old 11th August 2013, 12:05 PM   #5
KraVseR

Thanks, great link!
Old 11th August 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Before I go on I will mention that there is a Czech member who is very well informed about this region.

Here is my small collection of items from the region. You will no doubt find examples attributed to this or that tribe. However the same forms would be found among Nilotes inhabiting what is today South Western Ethiopia.
Attached Images

Old 11th August 2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

I am adding this item as a reply. I no longer collect knives or swords unless they are truly unusual or rare, or obviously to good a bargain to miss. This piece is quite possibly Nilotic certainly East African. I form the opinion of Nilotic by the small detail at the distal of the blade. A small matter but I think it points to similar marks found on Nilotic throwing knives. Many colonial powers meddled in Ethiopia from the latter part of the 19th century. The inspiration for this weapon could have been from any of those powers forces. I also have a few spears very much like those in this picture from "African Arms And Armour, Christopher Spring British Museum Press" They awkward to move hence the picture.
Attached Images