Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st July 2006, 12:45 PM   #1
katana

Default Toureq Sabre. comments please

This auction has recently finished, the sabre has a Manding styled scabbard. The sword is similar to the ceremonial one I posted a while ago. But this one has a more purposeful blade, looks to be rehilted locally, the blade appears to be European. French styling of the sword seems likely...however for some reason I'm begining to 'see' a Spanish influence...
anyone care to comment......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

I thought it was a nice sword with a good quality locally made blade and the scabbard is very well done top quality work. I was going to but it but a lovely katar won out over it.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 07:31 PM   #3
katana

I wasn't certain whether to bid or not.......but I did think it was nice....
Old 1st July 2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I liked the blade and the handle, the guard in particular. I was not keen on the nut that held it all together. This and the single cut strand of leather on the shoulder strap, and the fact that it was more than probable post ww2 put me off, only because I have other fish to fry. I might add.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 08:17 PM   #5
katana

I agree Tim . the nut suggested very recent manufacture and it was this that put me off
Old 2nd July 2006, 05:29 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Just wanted to add some comments on this item, which indeed appears a well made sword and not a tourist item. It should be made clear that the sword has nothing to do with the Sudan, nor the Tuaregs, although its mountings suggest the Manding of Mali and contiguous western Saharan regions. The trappings seen on the scabbard including the familiar semi globed discs are characteristic of Manding sabres, typically mounted with 19th century European sabre blades, most often French. Obviously there has been considerable volume of French surplus blades in these regions from the occupation there.

I agree with the assessment that this sword is probably mounted within about the 50 year range and seems similar to certain stirrup hilted sabres I have seen being used by paramilitary factions and militia in West African regions in relatively recent media articles. While it is known that edged weapons are often still used in these regions, swords with elaborate mounts such as this seem to have possibly been intended as regalia. The stirrup hilt knuckleguard is of course based on traditional European sabres.

It has always been interesting to me that for the discriminating collector or student of edged weapons, the age of a weapon is not always a key denominator. In many cultures, edged weapons remain actively used and not just traditional symbols. It must be remembered that in relatively recent times the sword remained a key combat weapon in places such as Arabia, the Sahara, and obviously in many other instances as late as WWII and the present.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote