Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th May 2022, 01:38 AM   #1
xasterix

Sorry to throw this in guys... but all PH figural hilts should be viewed with the blade pointing down, not up. Whether it's Luzon, Visayas, or Mindanao, all figural pommel samples you'll find are oriented that way. There's no reason for the kris pommel to be different or "flipped" for viewing.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2022, 02:41 PM   #2
SanibelSwassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
Sorry to throw this in guys... but all PH figural hilts should be viewed with the blade pointing down, not up. Whether it's Luzon, Visayas, or Mindanao, all figural pommel samples you'll find are oriented that way. There's no reason for the kris pommel to be different or "flipped" for viewing.
I agree and believe the Garuda kris form confirms this orientation. However, I also agree with David’s assertion that the symbol in the side of the form is most likely a wing.

With that defined we can begin to examine the other symbols on the “Garuda” kris that diverge from the more traditional Moro form. This is where I hope other forum members can assist in deciphering their origins and meanings, with the hope that leads us closer to the group of smiths and people that venerated this kris form.

Below are pics for the front, back, and top of two of the kris I own for discussions.
And while I am labeling this “Garuda”, forum members should feel free to present alternative or conflicting hypothesis. Delving into the symbols and their origins is my line of focus.
Attached Images

SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2022, 06:43 PM   #3
SanibelSwassa

Default Study in Malay wood carving

To better establish the linkage back to the cultural influences from the Hindu/Buddhist contacts with the Malay area I am supplying a paper on studying the carvings of the area. Given the overlay of the Muslim influence perhaps we can see the potential for the Garuda as the source for this interesting form.
Attached Images

Old 14th May 2022, 06:50 PM   #4
SanibelSwassa

Default Hindu/Buddhist sculpture examples

Here are a interesting pieces with floral motifs that are similar, however the Islamic art from the same time periods also have similar motifs.
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2022, 12:05 PM   #5
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelSwassa View Post
To better establish the linkage back to the cultural influences from the Hindu/Buddhist contacts with the Malay area I am supplying a paper on studying the carvings of the area. Given the overlay of the Muslim influence perhaps we can see the potential for the Garuda as the source for this interesting form.
Mr SanibelSwassa, I talked with a Malaysian keris collector and an Iranun friend who's also based in Malaysia. According to both of them, while the Indomalay-looking hilts that we have may seem related to keris, they're only roughly reminiscent Jawa Demam form; but symbolically, they agreed that our hilts represented a 'dragon'- in other words, a naga. And- this is most important- that they were made in the Philippines, and not elsewhere in the Malay archipelago.

When I asked about the standard and junggayan kakatua form, they said different people viewed it differently; same as in Sulu and Mindanao. Some will say it's a naga, while others will say it's a garuda. To them, it can be either, or both.
Old 15th May 2022, 02:30 PM   #6
xasterix

As supporting evidence that this indomalay-style hilt was made in the Philippines- I noticed that the insignia carved into my kris butt pommel perfectly corresponds to the recurring okir structural pattern of a torogan, the traditional Maranao royal residence for nobility. It was reserved for the datu or sultan. This pattern is exclusive to the Bangsamoro.
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2022, 04:00 PM   #7
SanibelSwassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix View Post
As supporting evidence that this indomalay-style hilt was made in the Philippines- I noticed that the insignia carved into my kris butt pommel perfectly corresponds to the recurring okir structural pattern of a torogan, the traditional Maranao royal residence for nobility. It was reserved for the datu or sultan. This pattern is exclusive to the Bangsamoro.
Xasterix,

That is a fabulous direct origin connection! The Okir on your piece and the corresponding wood lattices is a near prefect match. Do you know what building that picture was taken from and or the buildings rough age??

Thank you for sharing both the information you gathered from your Malay source and the detailed Okir pics!

Very excited! At the same time I’m having a difficult time finding matching Okir or sculpture reference to the symbol on my kris. The number 8 is strongly represented in the three layers of the “flower”. I still have some leaning toward a connection back to Hindu/Buddhist roots on this symbol… but that a work in progress.
Old 15th May 2022, 05:21 PM   #8
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelSwassa View Post
Xasterix,

That is a fabulous direct origin connection! The Okir on your piece and the corresponding wood lattices is a near prefect match. Do you know what building that picture was taken from and or the buildings rough age??

Thank you for sharing both the information you gathered from your Malay source and the detailed Okir pics!

Very excited! At the same time I’m having a difficult time finding matching Okir or sculpture reference to the symbol on my kris. The number 8 is strongly represented in the three layers of the “flower”. I still have some leaning toward a connection back to Hindu/Buddhist roots on this symbol… but that a work in progress.
Thanks for the kind words sir. That specific torogan is called "Bantog-a-Unaya" located in Lanao del Sur; most of the royal house is in ruins unfortunately. It's estimated to be over a hundred years old.

I'm attaching a picture from Baradas (1968) study on okir, there's a Maranao okir motif there that corresponds with the carving on our kris pommel.
Attached Images

Tags
garuda kris