Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th May 2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Bombardier stilettos

Does anyone out there have an example of the so called 'bombardier' stilettos, with graduated lines and numerics presumed to measure charges?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 09:58 PM   #2
kisak

Hessink had one for sale a while ago: http://hessink.nl/Webalbum/thor/wapens/1396_frame.htm

There's also one on display in the Army Museum in Stockholm. I'm not sure if I forgot to take a picture of the museum's description, or if it might have been lacking altogether. Either way, I'm afraid I can't provide any information beyond the picture itself there. It's displayed in a manner suggesting it was a gunner's item though.
Attached Images

kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 01:10 AM   #3
celtan

It is most certainly an 17th-18thC. gunner's stiletto. A friend of mine has one. I never understood what the numbers meant: Bore?

How was it used? Was it stuck in the charge, to adjust it for reach by removing excess?

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisak
Hessink had one for sale a while ago: http://hessink.nl/Webalbum/thor/wapens/1396_frame.htm

There's also one on display in the Army Museum in Stockholm. I'm not sure if I forgot to take a picture of the museum's description, or if it might have been lacking altogether. Either way, I'm afraid I can't provide any information beyond the picture itself there. It's displayed in a manner suggesting it was a gunner's item though.
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you guys, I'm not sure what made me think of these, but I'm trying to find an article on them around here somewhere.
I cant figure the numbers either...it seems if to measure an amount of powder, the number near the hilt must represent a huge charge.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 03:14 PM   #5
broadaxe

Here is a nice one from Oriental-Arms, bought by a good friend of mine.
http://www.oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=2314
We had this dagger replicated by a knifemaker, with interchanging blades (they were taken from fencing foils therefore have square cross section rather triangle one): one has a sharp point and the other has a safety button for training. Here is a photo, and another photo of a similar one from an old booklet in Italian, dealing exclusively with gunner's stiletto.
Attached Images

broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

Blade possibly maked with bore sizes and shot weight for each bore ??
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote