Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 20th January 2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Lansquenet59

Default Morion helmet 16th

Hi,

Here is one of the morions in my collection, made in a single piece of wrought iron around 1580.
Attached Images

Lansquenet59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 12:58 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Splendid example, that is indeed !
Spanish, right ?
With a plume holder, like having belonged to one in command ?
No smith or arsenal marks ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Lansquenet59

Always difficult to determine the exact country, it is often said that this model was made in northern Italy with possible exports. But other countries have also been able to manufacture it. There is no blacksmith or city mark. Yes with a plume holder, there too difficult to say if it is for an officer, a guard, or just a means of recognition with colored feathers on the battlefield. Because sometimes the enemy opposite could wear the morion too. If I'm not mistaken, the uniforms were not yet in place. The plume could be a distinctive sign.
Old 20th January 2020, 04:08 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Good points on the plume holder.
My asking whether this was a Spanish example was influenced by the fact that this type of head defence originates in Spain (Castille). I would not be able to distinguish their actual provenance except if with any identifiable marks; although i know of a close helmet with that type of 'cord' brim that someone once nentioned it was an Italian fashion; but i don't know. I am aware that big exports of these 'cascos' took place among countries (Portugal for one), as local production output did not satisfy each ones needs during occasional events. As an example, King Dom Sebastião had to order a surplus of 1200 units (from Flanders or Germany ?) for his disastrous battle of Alcacer Quibir (al Quasr al-kibr, 1578).
But then again, it is only natural that munition grade ones were more on the import/export circuit.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 04:51 PM   #5
Lansquenet59

Yes without marking, it is difficult to certify. It is sometimes easier with the German morions. One thing is sure, several countries wore the morion, this is indeed the trend of that time. I have other models identical to this one that I will present on occasion.
Morions are beautiful helmets

-

Last edited by fernando; 20th January 2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Inappropriate paragraph deleted ... risking further action