Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd April 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Dom

Default Existentialistic question

Hi Everybody
Are you aware that, you risk with your collection of edged weapons
(and I don't speak to others as guns ...)
to ended up with a "museum of Military & Ethnologic " at home?

- have you considered to limit your collection ?
- what are the limits (if you have) you tried to impose at yourself ?

there is, how I try ... (please, no snigger )
to limit myself for prevent at last extremity ... a forecasted burial

- edged weapons, knives, swords, sabers, ONLY from countries where I, we lived, visited or worked
- NO (yes ... I know) more than; two items of each type,
- exception done for exchange or resale purpose

AND YOU, HOW DO YOU MANAGE IT ?

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 03:43 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Manage what Dom...problem....who says i have a PROBLEM???!!!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:30 PM   #3
fearn

Ummmm, wives and significant others might have issues?

Actually, another way to look at it is that you're neither the first nor last owner of most of these pieces, simply their caretaker and admirer for a while. Moreover, they came to you because someone else cared enough to save them for a while.

That said, do you want to simply accumulate them, so that when you die, your heirs have to deal with your collection? Or do you want to make sure they all go to good homes when the time is right, whenever that time is?

So basically, consider the conditions under which you're willing to let pieces go, as well as when you're willing to buy them.

My 0.000002 cents,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

I find my specific interests tend to limit my acquisitions .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Iain

My habit seems to self control. I buy as much as I can, then have to sell it to buy something even more expensive.

Other than that I try to pick narrow areas of focus and make the weapon buying more like a personal research project as I learn about a period of history. I tend to like to immerse myself in a specific sub topic so I narrow the collection to fit that. Then latch onto another topic and continue the process.

I agree with fearn about the care taking aspect in all this. I see no point in hiding pieces away and if I haven't looked something over in a while I'm ready to let it go. I also find that certain pieces I develop a personal connection with and others I don't. Not sure why, just how it goes.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:35 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Oh well, if we are going to approach this seriously then....what he said!
Truth be told there are tons of keris (and for the most part that is what i collect, with the occasional mandau or Moro kris on the side) out there, but i have no need to own them all.
So my collecting is already specific and made even more specific by my specific likes and dislikes (and of course my pocketbook ).
I have most of my collection in view (in the "museum room") for the enjoyment of myself and others and what is stored away always comes out on a regular basis for maintenance if nothing else.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 06:50 PM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I am completely how no one should be; a compulsive consumer .
I buy everything that i come across with; then i get home, cool down a bit and realize i shouldn't have bought such piece. In the next step i hate it so much that i deeply struggle to get rid of it the quickest possible, selling it with inevitable losses.
Another wrong path i take is that, instead of gathering money to buy a an expensive fine piece, i first buy the said piece and after try and gather the funds to balance the situation.
As for budget control, i could well adopt a motto such as "Beyond rational possibilities" .
So folks, just don't be like me
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 08:22 PM   #8
laEspadaAncha

What are these "limits" of which you speak? Is that another Arabic term unknown to us non-Arabic speakers?

My "Collection Direction" is generally encyclopedic in nature. I collect for representation of form; with rare exception, once I have an example or two representative of a people, time, or culture, I stop looking. Hence, my "focus" really knows no geographic or ethnographic boundary, as I see my nascent collection as a tangible record of mankind's collective journey, through which I can occasionally plug into the gestalt of the human experience.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

fearn is right about the life of the objects. What limits me is primary budget. Then a transecendental maelstrom of struggling with aethetics and intrinsic value. Most of all I enjoy the chase to find an item. When all these elements come together in a joyous climax
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, er, let me say this. I limit myself primarily (though not exclusively) to a specific wish list made of specific pieces. These are primarily PI/Moro, then Ottoman, etc. The pieces on my wish list are pieces that have high quality, age, bling, etc. (Not to mention budget constraints )

I generally keep to my list. Thus one prominent member of our little forum (who has been all over the world seeing other peoples collections and museums) came to my house and said this of my little collection, "You have a great collection, not a big collection, but a great collection! Very focused."

I was pleased.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 11:39 PM   #11
A.alnakkas

I aim only for arms that came from muslim people and that is not a very smart thing to do especially when about to start with moro arms and south east asian stuff these are a sea of information.

I take my time and not rush to buy stuff since i have other commitments and my experience with paypal has been frustrating which slows things even more.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 12:23 AM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I aim only for arms that came from muslim people and that is not a very smart thing to do especially when about to start with moro arms and south east asian stuff these are a sea of information.

I take my time and not rush to buy stuff since i have other commitments and my experience with paypal has been frustrating which slows things even more.

Yes, we're waiting to see you in the Keris Warung Forum soon !
Old 4th April 2011, 01:00 AM   #13
Dom

Thank you all who have responded
no pretense of being serious in my approach
but it is true ... my wife starts saying "Kefaya" (see below)
and I thought I would not be the only experience this kind of .... subject
also, my curiosity got carried away, and I threw a stone into the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Manage what Dom...problem
never we’ve a problem, just a … subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Ummmm, wives and significant others might have issues?
Actually, simply their caretaker and admirer for a while.
- wives ... no comment , their opinions are unclear, but sacred … they’re our sweet spouses
- but I subscribe fully with your approach of « caretaker »

Quote:
I’m on your path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
My habit seems to self control. I buy as much as I can, then have to sell it to buy something even more expensive.
its a climbing ... assured ... but if ... assumed, only happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
I am completely how no one should be; a compulsive consumer .
I recognize there, all the enthusiasm, the passion of the Peoples of Southern Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aEspadaAncha
What are these "limits" of which you speak? Is that another Arabic term unknown to us non-Arabic speakers?
… Yes … “kefaya” (has been also, the name for a politic Egyptian party, acting agains the promotion of Mubarak son's as President in place of his father " transl.: it's enough") LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
fearn is right about the life of the objects. What limits me is primary budget. Then a transecendental maelstrom
truly … budget, the "killer" word very efficient to brake, an overload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Well, er, let me say this. I limit myself primarily (though not exclusively) to a specific wish list made of specific pieces.
I envy you for putting in place of reason in a passion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I aim only for arms that came from muslim people
Ahlan !! my Brother, vast subject ...

Thanks again, to every one

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 07:43 AM   #14
kahnjar1

There are a couple of questions here which need to be addressed in my humble opinion.

1. Make sure that your Partner/Wife is happy with your collecting. I have known of partners who have tried to convince the local police that their partner is "about to do something nasty with their items" I will leave you to imagine what was suggested, but happily that particular collector had believable backing to dispute the intended assertion! However BEWARE!!

2. Regarding disposal of your collection upon your death or illness,make sure that the collection is mentioned in your Will AND that the disposal is entrusted to a reliable person who is familiar with what you collect AND the value of the collection. Beneficaries CAN fleece the survivor IF that person is not aware of the true value of items.

Stu

Last edited by kahnjar1; 4th April 2011 at 08:58 PM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 08:17 AM   #15
KuKulzA28

I collect. And then I sell them. I don't have it in my budget to accumulate much of a collection at once... so I never have a big collection. It is constantly being sold/traded for other items. Than way I lose less money, and spend a few precious months becoming familiar with a piece, and I am never cluttered. The few weaponry/tools that I keep are onces that I actually use.

Maybe if I had a lot more money and a very settle lifestyle, things would change?

I don't know, but I doubt it.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Lee
EAAF Staff

Unhappy Failing to practice what is preached

While I will quickly agree that the proper, intelligent way to collect is to focus on an area and to refine a small but select collection with upgrades and disposals - this has never been my personal practice. I am a 'roach motel' for these things; I'd say no more than a half dozen deaccessions over 4 decades...
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 06:08 PM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

On the wife, my wife is fine with my collection as long as there are no active working guns in the house. She is wonderful.

On the thing of collecting focusing on certain areas - don't get me wrong, I have things that are not from the PI, Turkish, or Indonesia, but they are not the majority of my collection. "Where your heart is there will be your treasure also" is what Jesus said, and it is a great insight. My major passion is PI/Moro, but I am also global. This is great for me since I am not independently wealthy.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 06:55 PM   #18
fearn

Hi All,

I'll admit that the caretaker thing is as much a counsel of perfection as reality. I've got a few guilty secrets sitting back in the corners, and I need to get the rust off them.

That said, I'm honestly more interested in information in most cases than I am in having a representative piece, and most of my small collection is functional to varying extents.

So far as spouses go, my wife asked me, early on in our relationship, what I was going to do with a new piece?

It's always good to have an answer for that. Mine was several minutes long.

The wonderful thing about that question is that, once your partner asks it, that gives you the implicit right to ask it back (used with good judgment, of course). Tastes for fine jewelry and fine blades can certainly complement each other in a relationship...

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 09:02 PM   #19
kahnjar1

Quote:
Hi All,

I'll admit that the caretaker thing is as much a counsel of perfection as reality. I've got a few guilty secrets sitting back in the corners, and I need to get the rust off them.

That said, I'm honestly more interested in information in most cases than I am in having a representative piece, and most of my small collection is functional to varying extents.

So far as spouses go, my wife asked me, early on in our relationship, what I was going to do with a new piece?

It's always good to have an answer for that. Mine was several minutes long.

The wonderful thing about that question is that, once your partner asks it, that gives you the implicit right to ask it back (used with good judgment, of course). Tastes for fine jewelry and fine blades can certainly complement each other in a relationship...

Best,

F
I agree absolutely. There is always a "tradeoff" with one's spouse, and jewellery works just fine. I personally am lucky that my wife approves 100% of my collecting interests so long as the $$ are not needed for more important things.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink

Quote:
Tastes for fine jewelry and fine blades can certainly complement each other in a relationship...
I find that is the case for me .

My next keris has already cost me a string of pearls .

Insurance against gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair .
Old 4th April 2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Emanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
There is always a "tradeoff" with one's spouse
I call that tax. Tariffs on imports apply to the "nation of two" as much as to any other nation/country

I'm a generalist in most things. I collect broadly based on my means at any given moment, and depending on what strikes my fancy. I don't believe in constraints none of this "focused collection" business.

I'm also terrible at managing what/how much I buy. Often I'll see a bargain and rationalize that I can sell the piece at a nice profit after I clean it up. Then I clean it, study it, appreciate it...and it never leaves my care and the profit never materializes...only net monetary loss...

Recently I decided on a "1 piece per month" policy. It forces me to be more selective, but it also encourages me to spend more on nicer pieces. The bottom-feeder in me still keeps a lookout for bargains though...
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 10:05 PM   #22
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
I collect. And then I sell them. I don't have it in my budget to accumulate much of a collection at once... so I never have a big collection. It is constantly being sold/traded for other items. Than way I lose less money, and spend a few precious months becoming familiar with a piece, and I am never cluttered. The few weaponry/tools that I keep are onces that I actually use.

Maybe if I had a lot more money and a very settle lifestyle, things would change?

I don't know, but I doubt it.
sounds kinda like me, lol.
the good thing about that is, ever since i started collecting, it was my goal to know more about these artifacts. knowledge. seems like when you discover something new, you appreciate it even more. even the plainest kris has story to tell. come to think of it, these commoner swords has the most story to tell. it's with that original owner 24/7. it was his pride and joy. now, nothing beats with that actual sword on your hand. you can only read so much about it, but once you got it in person, it takes a whole new meaning. think of it like a library: you borrow a book, you read it, once you get done, you return it. of course there are what i call the Keepers, which, weird as it may sound, you can actually feel if certain pieces wants to stay with you.
as for the wife, she doesn't have a room to complain. i don't remember complaining when she got them kitchen knives, lol
nah, she's cool with it...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 02:41 AM   #23
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
now, nothing beats with that actual sword on your hand. you can only read so much about it, but once you got it in person, it takes a whole new meaning.
Most definitely

Quote:
think of it like a library: you borrow a book, you read it, once you get done, you return it.
That's how I see it. Some like to amass libraries, others just borrow books... and I guess in a way, it's the same with weapon collecting

Quote:
of course there are what i call the Keepers, which, weird as it may sound, you can actually feel if certain pieces wants to stay with you.
Yea, it is kind of strange... sometimes there's something special about a certain piece, and it's hard to say why
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 02:51 AM   #24
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'm down to one or two a year .
Not much leaves my collection .

Then there's the rare bottom feeding score .
Mostly not from eBay .
Old 5th April 2011, 04:11 AM   #25
Neil

Reading this thread I have laughed out loud more than once, thank you. We are a strange lot. I have asked my self many times why I collect the things I do. In the end its just who I am I think.

As far as limits go, I have a few guidelines. Predominantly I collect antique Chinese civilian arms. I have been a student of Chinese martial arts for a long time and have found working with these pieces lead me down such insightful paths of understanding, both in the history of my interest as well as my personal practice. That being said, the items I collect need to be complete and functional for solo kung fu practice routines, and or examples that offer a new opportunity to learn in a broader context. Few seem to be long term keepers. The chase is fun though.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 06:05 PM   #26
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

Quote:
I TRY TO PRACTICE RICK'S METHOD BUT UNFORTUNATELY MY INTRESTS KNOW NO LIMIT AND JUMP ABOUT LIKE A MAD FLEA

I ALSO COLLECT LIKE LEE AND SELDOM LET ANYTHING ESCAPE FROM THE COLLECTION BUT HAVE MADE A FEW EXCEPTIONS OVER THE YEARS LETTING ITEMS GO TO COLLECTERS WHO SPECIALIZED IN CERTIAN FIELDS.

THE THINGS THAT SAVE ME FROM BEING BURIED IN A PILE OF WEAPONS IS LACKAMOOLAH =(LIMITED MONEY) AND OTHER COLLECTORS WHO OUTBID ME THUS SAVING ME FROM MYSELF. BLESS YOURE LITTLE HEARTS
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 06:17 PM   #27
Lew
(deceased)

Unfortunately I collect from several different areas but as of late have become very selective. Money or the lack there of does play a major role. Having to pay for college is a big consideration when high end items come up for sale. I also have reached the point where my collection has stabilized and of course there is the do I have any more room for more stuff argument.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 07:00 PM   #28
mross

I find disposable income to be the biggest and best limiter on my collection. Of course the wife and kids can kinda get in the way also. Baby needs a new pair of shoes!
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 07:38 PM   #29
tom hyle

Limit......? what's that? My Mother claims to see the good in all humans. I see the good in all blades.
and then there's the asorted other junk I buy at estate sales because even if it's not a sword (spear, knife, axe, chisel.....) it is a very cool lil whatsit and it's only $1 or whatnot....I've got ashtrays, books, bowls, idols, fans; I've got a model war-canoe (a native model; native of where I do not know!)
Hahaha
This issue was really in my face about a week ago; I just moved. As usually, I had to go through everything, and some things had to be left behind.
Swords? Sure, but (Arnold Swartzeneger accent a-la True Lies) "they were both stainless"
Augers though; left back 3 T-handle augers from my parents' shed weight limits of truck springs soooo much steel and iron!
At the moment I'm trying to not buy project blades and let whatever creative sword energy I have go into my grinding of new sword blades from old saw blades. That's when you see very cool project blades available, of course: ah, the 3/8" sabre blade I passed up! The self-control is killing me! You don't need it, Tom. I do! You don't! I do!....
I try to pry myself away from "industrial" mass-produced swords, military, reproduction, private-issue; not because I don't enjoy them, but just, as is said; limits and priorities are self-imposing in a world of limitted finances and limitted space.
"You can't have everything; where would you keep it?"
I try to not collect leather (passed up a nice-looking kattara last week), glass, or fibre art too much; it just degrades before my lifestyle.
But then I see an irresistable Baluchi rug (with riders and deer and eagles and chickens and rams and I don't even remember what other animals; cool old rug; I'd like to have it made into a post card) for sale cheap (cheap for a baluchi rug is the same amount as the most I've ever given for a sword though....), so I give it to my sister....
The idea of limitting my collection to a certain style or ethnicity is utterly alien to me. I'm even getting into thrusting swords ha ha ha
limits; what an irksome concept that forces its way upon us so inevitably!
I wonder about what drives my urge to collect things. I see these TV shows about "hoarding" and I think "leave that old lady alone, you brutes!"
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 10:34 PM   #30
Royston

Space is my problem. My Lady has no objections to my collecting sharp pointy things as long as they are only displayed in one room of the house.

Strange, as she has a display cabinet full of antique perfume bottles in the lounge

I try to keep to S.E asia as I spent so much time there in my younger days but there are just too many items that take my fancy.
It is the " weird and wonderfull" shapes of some of the blades that really attract my attention. ( She likes them if they are "shiney" )

Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote