Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd June 2016, 04:23 PM   #1
Jerseyman

Default Security Marking Collection

Our local constabulary recently provided our entire neighbourhood with Smart Water home security packs. This property marking kit contains a liquid which dries leaving a mark visible under UV light. The liquid has a unique forensic code which is assigned to your property alone. If you move you notify the company.
What you do if you dispose of the item I'm not sure.

I've checked the company's website and it appears that the liquid is made from metal-based materials containing no organic compounds. If a stolen item is found to be marked I believe a section of the Smart Water is removed (scraped off?) which might leave a small mark on the item.

My questions are - has anybody used this product to mark their collection? Does anyone have any information indicating whether it might or might not be a good idea to mark weapons?

All thoughts welcome.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 05:06 PM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman
Our local constabulary recently provided our entire neighbourhood with Smart Water home security packs. This property marking kit contains a liquid which dries leaving a mark visible under UV light. The liquid has a unique forensic code which is assigned to your property alone...............
My questions are - has anybody used this product to mark their collection? Does anyone have any information indicating whether it might or might not be a good idea to mark weapons? All thoughts welcome.
I have never heard of this before but in my opinion the best thing to do is adequately photograph your items and post images of them on a photo gallery such as Photobucket or Pinterest and if possible on a forum such as this one. If your items are stolen you then have dated photographic evidence of possession before the item was stolen.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 07:25 PM   #3
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
I have never heard of this before but in my opinion the best thing to do is adequately photograph your items and post images of them on a photo gallery such as Photobucket or Pinterest and if possible on a forum such as this one. If your items are stolen you then have dated photographic evidence of possession before the item was stolen.
Normally I would agree with the posting of photo's. However thanks to misguided politicians owning ivory is now illegal in some parts (even extinct ivory) so you would be subjected to confiscation and destruction of the offending item. Just be careful.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:26 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

I personally do not believe marking your items will protect your items or offer security. If stolen they may go to a collection for generations, you will have long passed. I suggest insurance and photos.
I prefer privacy and security, a 6 foot fence, 2 German shepherds, security doors and windows, a monitored alarm system and a bad attitude...it is thus far worked for me....and if some one comes at me with a gun, I'll give them $10 for fuel...then revert back to insurance.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:37 PM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
I personally do not believe marking your items will protect your items or offer security. If stolen they may go to a collection for generations, you will have long passed. I suggest insurance and photos.
I prefer privacy and security, a 6 foot fence, 2 German shepherds, security doors and windows, a monitored alarm system and a bad attitude...it is thus far worked for me....and if some one comes at me with a gun, I'll give them $10 for fuel...then revert back to insurance.

Gavin
Gavin, privacy is a good defense, the start of many problems is with people you know or have been inside your house for some reason, repairmen, neighbors, friends, relatives, etc. I am very careful as to who comes in my house and what they see...I do not openly display items or discuss what I collect with most people. Security is next, I have automatic security lights all around my house that come on after dark if anyone walks near them, security screen doors with stainless steel mesh and aircraft aluminium frames, steel bars on the INSIDE of all windows....security sign in the front yard and security camaras (not currently hooked up)...need to work on that.
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

I agree with Eric very much - but you can also end up living in a Fort Knox - and who would like that?
I also seem to remember, that the ones who had chosen the invisiable system, also got stickers to put onto the windows - so thieves were 'warned'. It seemed that the breac in rate doopped drastically after this was started.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:28 PM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Normally I would agree with the posting of photo's. However thanks to misguided politicians owning ivory is now illegal in some parts (even extinct ivory) so you would be subjected to confiscation and destruction of the offending item. Just be careful.
It is NOT ivory, it is BONE!!!
Old 23rd June 2016, 08:32 PM   #8
kahnjar1

I seem to remember that this UV "system" was promoted in this country some time ago for marking electronic items such as TVs, Laptops etc. Don't know how wide spread its use was or if it is still available but when I get some time I will investigate.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 05:09 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

VERY INTERESTING THE FIRST QUESTION I ASK IS HOW CORROSIVE IS THIS LIQUID WOULD IT PROMOTE RUST IF USED ON METAL?. SECOND, DOES IT WASH OR RUB OFF EASY? THIRD, UNTIL POLICE DEPARTMENTS ARE COMMONLY USING THIS FORM OF IDENTIFICATION THE ONLY ONES WHO COULD CHECK FOR YOU IS THE COMPANY WHO MAKES THE STUFF. IF THOSE THREE THINGS ARE WORKED OUT AND NOT A PROBLEM IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD EASY WAY TO MARK COLLECTIONS ESPECIALLY LARGE ONES . KIND OF LIKE MALE ANIMALS MARK THEIR TERRITORY NO DOUBT THAT LEAVES A UNIQUE ONE KIND OF MARK AS WELL, MOTHER NATURE USUALLY BEATS MAN TO IT EVERY TIME.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

I think it must be the same liquied I told about a year or two back - not much interest as far as I remember.
As far as I recall, the dealer has a number registrated by the police, and when the pilice find anything with that number, they contact the dealer, and he will know who the customer is. I seem to remember that it is used in the UK and in some Scandinavian countries.
The thing is, that thiefs cant see the number, and they no doubt have no time to use an UW light, so when the police finds a lot of items - not belonging to the thieves - they can use UW light to find out from where the items come.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote