Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th February 2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Stan S.

Talking The 4 letter "B"-word

Well, it looks like I scored me a nice Bhuj (a.k.a. axe-knife, a. k. a. elephant knife) on eBay. I ended up spending quite more than expected but as long as the wife does not find out, I think I should be safe

How rare are these exactly? I only see them very occasionally available and while there are some variations, many are identical to the one I got. It is almost as if most were issued to a single regiment or an army at the same point in time and are slowly trickling into the hands of collectors. Also, this a hack and thrust weapon, right? I remember reading somewhere on-line that bhuj could also be hurled at an enemy as a javelin of some sort. This does not make much sense, as the weapon is clearly too head-heavy with nothing to counter balance it at the back. What do you think? I would love to be pointed to some historical references of bhuj (or would a proper plural form be “bhujes”?) being used in battle. All comments are welcome as always.

The pictures below are from the listing:
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Stan S.

Here is a reference to two other Bhuj which feature an elephanthead identical to the one on my example. How would you explain such similarity other than being made by the same metalsmith?

Link 1
Link 2
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually the Bhuj, as its name implies, is most commonly associated with the Kutch district in Gujerat where it seems they are most predominantly produced. The characteristic elephant head typically found at the forte of the haft at the base of the blade is important symbolically, particularly in these regions and with Rajputs who were profoundly associated with the use of these weapons. The elephant represents power and wealth, and their symbolism is also prevalent throughout Rajasthan. The elephant was also an important component of military forces, and the presence of its image would seem well placed in that context. It would appear the weapon type has been around for some time as the bhuj is apparantly illustrated in the ' Nujum al Ulum' (Bishapur, 1570, as noted in Elgood, p.237).

The use of these in combat is both cut and thrust, essentially more a hafted sword, but the haft gave the advantage of being able to cut the wooden hafts of spears and javelins or stabbing lances used against the warrior. These were the cousins of the zaghnal, a form of dagger axe with its blade mounted horozontally and used in a pick type fashion to penetrate thick fabric armor and turbans as well as obviously the same action in any case.
These hafted weapons are collectively termed in the vernacular in Rajasthan as 'dab'.

The bhuj (also known as the gandara, as well as 'elephant knife or sword') is mentioned in most of the standard references on Indian arms (Pant, Paul, Haider, Elgood, Egerton, Rawson etc) with others usually less attainable such as Holstein, Hendley etc. but as much can be found in Stone, Tarussuk & Blair or simply Wikipedia and Google.

It looks like this one has some genuine age, but hard to say from photos. The brass of course suggests these components were made in good number so possibly one shop could have been the source for considerable numbers.
The elephant theme in virtually the same head position etc. seems the basis for the many types including jeweled and precious metals used with them.

Very nice acquisition and an interesting example of these unusual Indian fighting weapons!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
ariel

I would hesitate attributing all 3 bhujes to the same workshop: the form was highly formalized and, in the absence of markings, could have been manufactured by different masters over many years.

I see why Jim mentions Zaghnal as a potential relative: both come from Sindh and the idea of reorienting the blade might have been appealing to the natives. However, zaghnal was essentially a pick, and an axe would be its closest relative. After all, both axe and zaghnal lack mechanical attributes for slashing or thrusting; only a chopping, penetrating hit was effective.
I have two bhuj-like relatives: what Egerton called Buckie ( Plate X). This is essentially a broad short blade mounted on a long handle, but with no recurving, thickened mail-piercing tip or elephant head. My guess, from the purely engineering point of view, they allowed both powerful slashing ( long lever) and thrusting. Bhuj might have been more effective against a mailed/helmeted opponent due to its mass and reinforcement of the tip.

Nice find.
Still, tell your wife you got it for $10.55 at the most :-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I forgot to mention, I am inclined to doubt that the bhuj would have been thrown, at least as a practice, as it would no longer be in hand for its continued use. Naturally, in the heat of battle anything might happen, but I dont think this would have normally been done.
As Ariel points out, it would be doubtful that all of these examples could have been from the same shop or smith, but as I mentioned, if the examples match up accordingly to indicate the same casting mold, then obviously.
It is interesting that these forms had apparant origins in Sind to the north of the Rajasthan and Gujerat areas in which they predominate. The slightly recurved blade of the bhuj is remarkably similar to spearheads on weapons in the south, of forms seen there and in Sinhala. As always it is intriguing to try to interpret directions of diffusion and influence based on these similarities but at this point I thought it simply worthy of note.
As for the zaghnol, I have always found the potential for association to the bronze age dagger axe of China compelling, and considered the trade routes along the Silk Roads likely for diffusion. However, there is an enormous chronological gap and no reliable line of development I am aware of to do other than presume association simply by nature of the form.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 02:59 AM   #6
ariel

I certainly agree with Jim: this is not a throwing spear. It is far too heavy and likely poorly balanced for throwing.
Jim , I never thought of the Chinese Connection:-)
Indeed, zaghnal ( Raven's Beak) looks very similar. Do you think the chain extended further to Europe, through Massagetan examples to Turks ( djokan), Russia ( klevetz or chekan) all the way to medieval Poland ( Nadziak) and Western Europe ravensbeak?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote