Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th August 2018, 05:52 PM   #1
rickystl

Default ANOTHER JAZAIL

Hello All

I recently won this Afghan Jazail at auction to add to my collection. I think this makes 4/5 now. Sad. LOL I don't need another Jazail, but had a weak moment and was very attracted to this one. The barrel is 47.5" long and about .59 caliber. It's heavily brass decorated, with what appears to be one original decorated barrel band, some period added later plain ones, and some more recently added ones, with a wire band near the muzzle end. The trigger guard and front sling swival support are decorated iron. It has a correct EIC lock marked HEIST and dated 1799. But what really attracted me to this Jazail is the beautiful fluted barrel, which may be Persian (?) It's fluted 11.5" near the breach and 8" at the muzzle. There is a makers stamp near the breech which is very similar to ones I've seen on Persian barrels. And a beautiful wedding band transition area thats chisiled and engraved. The center portion of the barrel is plain round. The barrel could be older than the rest of the gun. Original decorated ramrod.
So, what needs to be done with this one ? LOL The lock needs some serious attention. The butt cap re-fastened as the nails have come loose. The long tail on the trigger guard needs a bit of straightning and re-nailed. There is some small brass pieces missing at the left side opposite the lock. But I probably won't replace those. But the gun is basically all there. Just needs some attention.
Here are some picture heavy photos. This is exactly the way I received it with no tinkering (yet). Hope you enjoy. And of course any comments appreciated.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote