Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th September 2013, 04:46 AM   #1
Miqueleter

Dana, perhaps this may be of some help, keeping in mind, of course, terminology is a mine field. From Francis Markham in "Five Decades of Epistles of Warres", London, 1622, Bk. IV, p. 133 refers to the late invented Dragoones 'being not aboue sixteen inch Barrell, and full musquet bore'."

Dragon is a heavy-caliber carbine carried by dragoons, from which they are said to have derived their name, though the converse seems equally derived. Dragon seems to have gone out of use in favor of the term musketoon. So says Claude Blair et al of Pollard's History of Firearms.
Miqueleter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 03:29 PM   #2
dana_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miqueleter
Dana, perhaps this may be of some help, keeping in mind, of course, terminology is a mine field. From Francis Markham in "Five Decades of Epistles of Warres", London, 1622, Bk. IV, p. 133 refers to the late invented Dragoones 'being not aboue sixteen inch Barrell, and full musquet bore'."

Dragon is a heavy-caliber carbine carried by dragoons, from which they are said to have derived their name, though the converse seems equally derived. Dragon seems to have gone out of use in favor of the term musketoon. So says Claude Blair et al of Pollard's History of Firearms.
Hello Miqueleter. Thanks for adding your input. It seems to me that we have wandered together into the terminology mine field before. You probably notice how carefully I constructed the description “blunderbuss like weapon in England”.

I would love to have a definitive description of the distinct differences between a Dragon / Dragoon, Musketoon and Blunderbuss. Unfortunately most authoritative definitions are like this one from the Tower of London's William Reid. (Encyclopedia Of Firearms, Harold L. Peterson, Page 222, 1964)

MUSKETOON
A type of musket with a short, smoothbore barrel and large bore; by inference, a soldier armed with a musketoon. The term was loosely used, and no satisfactory definition is to be found in contemporary descriptions that range from "short bastard snaphaunce musquetts" (1688) to the shortest kind of blunderbuss (1772). W.R.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

A definition of blunderbuss in The Oxford Universal Dictionary Illustrated, first published 1933.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
fernando

Amazingly and although the flared muzzle is not (often) mentioned in english definitions, its translation to portuguese (and not only) implies (generaly) in a bell shape barrel mouth.
Old 25th September 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Fernando K

Hello everyone

According to the same source (Baxter) Frontsperger Leonhardt, in 1566, in his "Von den Kaiserlichen Kriegsrechtem", talks about guns that shoot 12 to 15 bullets, cannon 1.1 / 2 foot, used by troops during assault .

Sorry for the translator

Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
fernando

Just for the fun, here is a portrait in a Brazilian satyrical magazine, showing a controversial religious figure, backed by a group of buffoons armed with old bacamartes (blunderbusses) trying to block the Republic ... end XIX century.

Attached Images