Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 5th May 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
dbhmgb

Default Another Before and After

This is one of my first two kerises. The blade was in horrendous shape and I recently decided to see what pineapple juice would do with it. It took a bit over two weeks and I decided to take it out today. Here is before:
Attached Images

dbhmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 07:51 PM   #2
dbhmgb

Now, here it is today:
Attached Images

Old 6th May 2012, 12:39 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I didn't see much rust originally on this one and no amount of soaking was going to improve the eroded texture on the blade. Frankly i liked it better when the blade was still black from the last warangan treatment. It had a dark mystery to it then.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Jean

The soaking did improve the eroded texture a bit IMO so I find it positive. Notice the tip of the blade made from a different metal (replaced or original harder steel?).
The most interesting feature of this kris is the sheath which looks to originate from Banjarmasin in South Kalimantan so the whole kris may be from there except the hilt, a rare find, congratulations!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
dbhmgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
The soaking did improve the eroded texture a bit IMO so I find it positive. Notice the tip of the blade made from a different metal (replaced or original harder steel?).
The most interesting feature of this kris is the sheath which looks to originate from Banjarmasin in South Kalimantan so the whole kris may be from there except the hilt, a rare find, congratulations!
Thank you Jean.

That's why I included the shot of the tip. As the blade soaked, this detail became more apparent and interesting. That metal appears more porous and is no where else on the blade but the tip.

Thanks also for the tip on the sheath, I'll research that and try to match things.

Dan
Old 6th May 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhmgb
Thank you Jean.

That's why I included the shot of the tip. As the blade soaked, this detail became more apparent and interesting. That metal appears more porous and is no where else on the blade but the tip.
Dan
In Java some blades with a similar type of rebuilt tip (may be made from hard tungsten carbide?) are used by kris sellers for punching and lifting coins for the amazement of tourists... You may test it with your blade but not with a gold coin!
Regards
Old 6th May 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
In Java some blades with a similar type of rebuilt tip (may be made from hard tungsten carbide?) are used by kris sellers for punching and lifting coins for the amazement of tourists... You may test it with your blade but not with a gold coin!
Regards
Sorry Jean, not a good tip! Most of the time I have seen this there was used aluminium coins (soft metal). When the tip of the blade from Dan isn't hard enough the blade from Dan can be bend. Better don't try.
BTW, I think it is the core of the blade what we can see black but unsure by this.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 05:49 PM   #8
dbhmgb

Okay - this is interesting. If you look at the pre-soak pictures, you can see that someone filed down the tip to make it more pointed - it is shiny. I'll take a picture of the other side of the blade for reference.

I too think it may be the core, but with an untrained eye, I could not be sure.

Last edited by dbhmgb; 6th May 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:26 PM   #9
dbhmgb

Here are the pictures:
Attached Images

Old 6th May 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I think we're looking at the slorok exposed ..
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Greybeard

Yes, I think that I see some filing marks. Someone apparently reshaped the tip a little bit ...
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Sorry Jean, not a good tip! Most of the time I have seen this there was used aluminium coins (soft metal). When the tip of the blade from Dan isn't hard enough the blade from Dan can be bend. Better don't try.
Regards,

Detlef
From memory I saw it done with nickel coins but I agree that it should not be tested! From the detailed pictures the tip of the blade may just have been reshaped indeed.
Regards