Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 31st December 2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Atlantia

Default Rare English "The Lincoln Air Pistol"

The Lincoln Air Pistol.

A little late for this forum strictly, but as it's rather rare and interesting, I thought you might all like to see one of these iconic early 'spring piston' barrel cocking air pistols.
The "Lincoln" Air Pistol, By Lincoln Jeffries ltd.
Production (according to Denis H. Hiller) 1921-30, with production estimates up to 2000, although I can't find an example with so high a serial number.

There are various slight differences in examples found.
Some from gradual revisions to the model, some seemingly from the fact that they were essentially hand made so have the possibility of slight individuality.
I've seen examples with vertcal lines on the 'slide' like a Colt 1911. Different locking toggle styles, some have a large finger tightened front pivot screw to allow for removal and 'folding' of the gun for storage/transport/cleaning.
Also the size of foresight blade varies, as does the cylinder grip which came in two variations: Standard (as mine) or long. They are often described as having a 9-1/4" barrel, my examples barrel is exactly 9" from the 'break' to the end.

Design.
Probobly the most interesting thing about these pistols is the design.
They look like 'steam punk' meets 'James Bond' meets 'Sten gun' to me!

The spring/piston assembly is located within the grip which has a large open slot in the front showing the spring. A good firm two handed grip when firing may result in the decompressing spring and piston removing skin from the inside of fingers! (ouch). This system was later used by other famous makers including Walther, but I believe this is the original pistol to use it.

Finish: The Bluing process used on the all steel construction is similar to the military guns of the period and so does wear. Mine is lucky enough to retain much of its original finish, if somewhat worn in the expected areas.
Also, my example still fires

Calibre: .177 (4.5mm)

I'd like to hear from anyone else who has one of these or access to one as I would like to try and establish firm production/serial numbers for these.
Pm or email to: gimmieitbaby@aol.com
The highest I can find is # 1218.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures.
Best
Gene
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 31st December 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 31st December 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
thinreadline

Gene, how lovely to see one of these very rare air pistols with what must in 1921 have been a very futuristic design. I do have info on them in some back copies of Guns Review , which I will dig out if you dont have access to them.
Old 31st December 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thumbs down

Hi Gene,
You have been around here for quite a while; you know so well that this kind of stuff is rather without the scope of the forum.
Better drop this one and go antique, guys.
Old 31st December 2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Gene, how lovely to see one of these very rare air pistols with what must in 1921 have been a very futuristic design. I do have info on them in some back copies of Guns Review , which I will dig out if you dont have access to them.
Absolutely right Richmond, this Iconic pistol was absolutely years ahead in it's day and is one of the 'fathers' of all modern air weapons. It's slimline design emulating the automatic pistols of the era, so completely different from the 'fat' Webleys, and Westley Richards (which I always think look like a spurless Adams revolver).
The few collectors of antique and early air weapons lucky enough to have one usually reagard them as one of the 'crown jewels' of a collection.

I don't have any Guns Reviews, I would appreciate anything you could scan mate.........
But might be best if you email it to me.

Thanks
Gene
Old 31st December 2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Gene,
You have been around here for quite a while; you know so well that this kind of stuff is rather without the scope of the forum.
Better drop this one and go antique, guys.
Hi Nando,

I'm suprised TBH, but you're the boss. I've cut the pictures back to one, so I'm not wasting bandwidth. Go ahead and delete the thread if you think it's too irrelevant. I don't want to fall foul of the rules

Best
Gene
Old 31st December 2011, 07:36 PM   #6
kahnjar1

Default What is defined as "antique"?

On this Forum, and also the Ethnographic section, there are many items posted which are dated later than 1921. So where is the cutoff? If 1921 is the date of this pistol it is already 90 years old!!
It is a pity to see items like this old airpistol removed. Maybe the term/rules should be altered to read "antique and historic"??
Regards Stu
Old 31st December 2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Air, it goes a long way back.

Gene,

A very interesting subject indeed and a well presented.

I wish I had one of these around the home, very handy. I'd love to know more on the working of these things, in particular that the cylindrical air reservoir brings canes to mind and the air cane on the 19th century fascinates me and air weapons were seen as early as the mid 18th century.

Good luck!

Gav
Old 31st December 2011, 09:38 PM   #8
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
On this Forum, and also the Ethnographic section, there are many items posted which are dated later than 1921. So where is the cutoff? If 1921 is the date of this pistol it is already 90 years old!!
It is a pity to see items like this old airpistol removed. Maybe the term/rules should be altered to read "antique and historic"??
Regards Stu
That is a very good point , especially in the ethnographic section where frequently items from the 1920s / 30s appear .
Old 31st December 2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

First paragraph :
http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/guide.html

I'm sure you also all read this under Q&A when you were welcomed :

" I want to complain about a forum policy:
These fora are managed by a volunteer Moderator Team and each moderator has a vote on fora policies. Concerns may be directed to any of the moderators (or to webmaster@vikingsword.com) for presentation to and consideration by the Moderator Team. Do not create a thread in the forums for your grievance or suggestion . "

Last edited by Rick; 1st January 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 1st January 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Gentlemen,
Had you done some reading:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6984

Thread closed.
Closed Thread