Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th February 2024, 06:18 PM   #1
Yvain

Default Yemeni matchlock

I didn't plan to get a Yemeni matchlock this weekend, but for 30€ I couldn't pass it, even though it will need a lot of work!

The buttstock padding has been attacked by insects and will go in the freezer for some times. It also seems like the metal parts have been painted black, I don't think it is original but would love your opinion. Also, if the paint isn't original, how would you remove it without damaging the wood?

And by the way, if you have any idea of how old it is, I would love to hear your opinion!

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂
Attached Images

Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 05:11 PM   #2
Yvain

Adding some links for additional information :

https://royalarmouries.org/collectio...t/object-34776

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...emen+matchlock

Old 19th February 2024, 05:20 PM   #3
David R

Very nice, and as you say at that price you cannot just walk past! I do wonder if it started life on the other side of the water in India.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 07:22 PM   #4
Yvain

Thanks David! Hard to tell, guess I'll be able to form an opinion once I've cleaned it, there seems to be something written on the barrel
Old 19th February 2024, 08:49 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Interesting old piece. How do you plan to clean it?...particularly the metal work and barrel?
However don't be discouraged....see here http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24394
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 09:42 PM   #6
Yvain

I'm not sure yet, it will depend on if and how I remove the black paint. I don't think I will be able able to clean it completely like yours though, most pieces are pinned in place, not screwed.
Old 19th February 2024, 10:59 PM   #7
AHite

Your matchlock is very similar to two matchlocks displayed on the wall of a local gunshop near me, which had been found by a US Marine in a cave in Afghanistan. Unfortunately the shop refuses to sell them to me (they also have a French Gras liberated by the same Marine in the same cave). It seems that this style of matchlock was used over a wide region. They must have had a good recoil if they needed the heavy buttstock padding!

Looking at my collection of jezails, and Khyber Pass manufactured firearms, I do not have one that has black paint on it. Most of the barrels and locks are in the "white", unfinished metal, with non painted wood. It's possible that a previous owner painted it to protect it, and as such is part of the history of the gun. In my opinion, trying to remove the paint, either with chemical stripper or sanding, will damage the patina of the wood. I think a gentle cleanup will go a long ways as far as the appearance is concerned.

Awesome buy at thirty euros or whatever the US$ exchange is. We are custodians of these pieces that others would dismiss as trash.
AHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 02:03 AM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvain View Post
I'm not sure yet, it will depend on if and how I remove the black paint. I don't think I will be able able to clean it completely like yours though, most pieces are pinned in place, not screwed.
What ever you decide to do with the wood, maybe some careful removal of pins etc and the barrel bands will free up the barrel itself. I have found that soaking in white vinegar is great for removing rust so perhaps it might be worth a try with that. (I used that on the Jezail restoration)
Stu
Old 20th February 2024, 08:27 AM   #9
Yvain

Thanks AHite, those type of matchlocks were indeed popular over a wide area, from Turkey to India, including the Arab peninsula.

Stu, sadly most pins are bent in place, I'm thus not sure how I could remove them safely for disassembly. In the same way, the tail of breech is hidden under a metal plate. If I can't disassemble it, I may try to infiltrate a penetrating oil / water displacer under the unreachable areas to prevent further oxydation.

I think I will start with a quick clean with a nylon brush. From there, I will either remove the paint with a paint thinner safe for wood, or move directly to rust cleaning with oiled fine steel wool. Will also probably clean the wood a bit and feed it with linseed oil.
Attached Images

Old 20th February 2024, 08:48 AM   #10
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvain View Post
Thanks AHite, those type of matchlocks were indeed popular over a wide area, from Turkey to India, including the Arab peninsula.

Stu, sadly most pins are bent in place, I'm thus not sure how I could remove them safely for disassembly. In the same way, the tail of breech is hidden under a metal plate. If I can't disassemble it, I may try to infiltrate a penetrating oil / water displacer under the unreachable areas to prevent further oxydation.

I think I will start with a quick clean with a nylon brush. From there, I will either remove the paint with a paint thinner safe for wood, or move directly to rust cleaning with oiled fine steel wool. Will also probably clean the wood a bit and feed it with linseed oil.
Good luck with cleaning. Would like to see some pics of the result when you are done. If worst case eventuates you have not spent much on the gun and you will probably learn a lot about restoration, which might well help with any future "projects".
Best of luck.
Stu