Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th May 2015, 09:26 AM   #1
BANDOOK

Default NORTH AFRICAN SNAPHAUNCE MUSKET

North African Snaphaunce Musket. Moukalla (moukhala] Moroccon Or Algerian origin and was made around circa 19th century. The musket has a hardwood full stock that is decorated with silver bands each struck with unique markings .beautiful marine ivory inlays. The musket also has a fish-tale’ butt lined with a base medal. it hasa number so may be an ex museum piece??
Comments welcome
Attached Images

Last edited by BANDOOK; 26th May 2015 at 09:41 AM.
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 02:29 AM   #2
rickystl

Hi Bandook.
That is an interesting musket. The downward curve of the butt stock reminds me of the Algerian Berber guns. But the wrist area has the slightly wider diameter of the Moroccan guns of the Tetuan Region. Hmmmm. But I've seen that butt stock style before. I'll look into some of my other research material on these guns and advise.
The snaphaunce lock on yours is made in the English style. The other style encountered is the Dutch style with the wider hammer.
That's a nice Moroccan Beehive Flask!!
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Kubur

Hi Rajesh,

http://nimcha.fr/14-maroc.htm

Blade Japet web site, this guy is a genious!
Easy to translate with Google.

Best,
Kubur
PS: I want the same powder flask!!!!!
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 08:02 AM   #4
BANDOOK

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Bandook.
That is an interesting musket. The downward curve of the butt stock reminds me of the Algerian Berber guns. But the wrist area has the slightly wider diameter of the Moroccan guns of the Tetuan Region. Hmmmm. But I've seen that butt stock style before. I'll look into some of my other research material on these guns and advise.
The snaphaunce lock on yours is made in the English style. The other style encountered is the Dutch style with the wider hammer.
That's a nice Moroccan Beehive Flask!!
Rick.
THANKS RICK YES I HAVE READ ABOUT THE TETUAN REGION GUNS AND ITS INTERESTING TO KNOW ABOUT THE BUTT STOCK,AM PUTTING UP A PICTURE OF MY OTHER MOROCCON GUN FROM ANOTHER PART OF MOROCCO [UPPER GUN IN THE PICTURE]
Description: Of Taouzilt type, the hardwood stock of characteristic form, lavishly embellished with applied brass buttcap, and rarely-encountered engraved and nielloed silver plaques, together with silver and brass studs and glass gems in box settings. Mounted with a locally-produced snaphaunce lock featuring a sliding pan cover. The barrel with octagonal breech secured to the stock by numerous engraved silver bands. First half of the 19th century.Minor losses. Overall length 159 cm.
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 06:44 PM   #5
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rajesh,

http://nimcha.fr/14-maroc.htm

Blade Japet web site, this guy is a genious!
Easy to translate with Google.

Best,
Kubur
PS: I want the same powder flask!!!!!
Hi Kubur.
Thanks so much for this Link!!! This explains the differences of the various Moroccan long guns in a very simple formate. Thank you again.
Rick.
Old 30th May 2015, 06:45 PM   #6
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
THANKS RICK YES I HAVE READ ABOUT THE TETUAN REGION GUNS AND ITS INTERESTING TO KNOW ABOUT THE BUTT STOCK,AM PUTTING UP A PICTURE OF MY OTHER MOROCCON GUN FROM ANOTHER PART OF MOROCCO [UPPER GUN IN THE PICTURE]
Description: Of Taouzilt type, the hardwood stock of characteristic form, lavishly embellished with applied brass buttcap, and rarely-encountered engraved and nielloed silver plaques, together with silver and brass studs and glass gems in box settings. Mounted with a locally-produced snaphaunce lock featuring a sliding pan cover. The barrel with octagonal breech secured to the stock by numerous engraved silver bands. First half of the 19th century.Minor losses. Overall length 159 cm.
Hi Bandook.
GREAT!! Two more nice pieces.
Rick.