Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th June 2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default Nice miquelet Gun for ID

Hi Everbody
This is some pics froma nice gun but the stock had been brocken .
Wondering if with this damage it still good to be in a collection .
The barrel is so heavy and I supose that many of them was broken because of the weight .
Any comment on it will be welcome.

Regards

Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice piece. Love the twist core barrel.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Norman McCormick

Hi Cerjak,
A Caucasian Miquelet rifle, not that thick on the ground so despite condition, which could be repaired much better, could be worth adding to your collection. I suspect the galloping woodworm may have more to do with the break in the stock than a weighty barrel and the woodworm is the one thing than would make me cautious about adding this rifle to my collection. I have seen furniture with less wormholes that looked ok on the outside but were bereft of any substance inside. I have attached a few photos of mine for comparison although it is of a plainer type.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 07:55 PM   #4
TVV

Lovely gun! I guess it is from Persia or the Caucasus with this stock.
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Cerjak,
A Caucasian Miquelet rifle, not that thick on the ground so despite condition, which could be repaired much better, could be worth adding to your collection. I suspect the galloping woodworm may have more to do with the break in the stock than a weighty barrel and the woodworm is the one thing than would make me cautious about adding this rifle to my collection. I have seen furniture with less wormholes that looked ok on the outside but were bereft of any substance inside. I have attached a few photos of mine for comparison although it is of a plainer type.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman,

Your gun seems to be in perfect condition,It is a long time I try to find one but those guns become so expensive so I had accept a gun in this condition because is still nice to see and was enable to find one in raisonable price but if one day I have the luck to find one in perfect condition I will not miss it.
Those gun are so nice and more and more collector are looking to buy those weapon so I had prefer to bought now affraid that one day the price become to high.

Regards

Cerjak
Old 30th June 2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Norman McCormick

Hi Cerjack,
My rifle, unfortunately, is not in perfect condition, it is missing the front barrel band and the ramrod shaft has been replaced at some time but apart from that it is pretty good. If the woodworm on yours has been treated correctly it should give you no more problems but I think in time the repairs to the stock could be done better and the wormholes hidden with a good furniture restorers wax. I agree it is a form of rifle that is difficult to come by without paying a lot and you are lucky to get one at a reasonable price. It is a nice and unusual piece with a lovely barrel, thank you for posting it. If you use the search for "Miquelet" you will get more detailed photos of my example and a couple of period photos of these rifles.
My Regards,
Norman.

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 30th June 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 07:34 PM   #7
rickystl

Hi Cerjak. Nice looking Caucasian rifle. Maybe a bit of Persian influence on the lock. Is the barrel rifled or smoothbore?
Agree with Norman about the wormholes. Have to be careful. But, as Norman says the break in the stock can be repaired better at a later date. The color and grain of the wood on this piece - as well as the barrel - are very attractive.
I've been looking for one of these Caucasian long arms myself for quite a while. And your right, the prices for Causasian weapons - especially the guns - seems to be going through the roof, especially the last 6-7 years. The long arms are more difficult to locate than the pistols. But even the pistols - at least hear in the States - are bringing large price tags
I still think it's a nice piece and would not mind having it myself. Still looking Thanks for posting. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 07:47 PM   #8
Cerjak

I still try to ID this mark and I have found an interesting book but in Russian ,so I can only watch the picture.
See below some pages from this interesting book.
Attached Images

Old 22nd February 2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Cerjak

more pic
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2015, 01:19 PM   #10
drac2k

Very nice rifle ! On a related note of your post, how does one get rid of these wood boring insects.In the past I have wrapped the item and put it in a freezer for a prolonged period of time. It seems to have worked, however in the back of my mind, I've always been worried that they were only in hibernation and they could reappear.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 05:02 PM   #11
Ken Maddock

I get a plastic bag and put item into bag along with some chloroform
leave in a warm place and let solvent evaporate
DO NOT do this if your item is varnished (or painted) as the varnish will lift, fine on waxed or just old timber items an does not affect platina.
regards
ken
Ken Maddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:16 PM   #12
drac2k

Thanks for the information !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 04:48 AM   #13
Will M

I have used a large barn beam for a mantle and where it had some splits I noticed sawdust accumulating after a time. The beam did have some small holes so I sprayed it with Raid bug spray and that stopped the sawdust, and now a year later nothing.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 07:37 AM   #14
KraVseR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
more pic
It's translated like "samples of brands on crimean barrels".
KraVseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 04:12 PM   #15
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraVseR
It's translated like "samples of brands on crimean barrels".
Thank you for the translation

Best

Cerjak