Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th May 2016, 04:44 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default I'd Like to Learn More About This Interesting Kalinga Axe

I generally don't collect items outside of the Muslim portions of the Philippines, but this Kalinga axe was so strangely elegant in its own right that I could not resist. I know very little about the Kalinga other than that they were headhunters and this was supposedly their "head axe", but like so many tribal people, I believe this evolved from a tool, or at least had a dual purpose, with the elongated spike stuck in the ground to create an upright and fixed cutting edge.

This one is 23.5in. in length with an arch-topped heavy axe head of 15.5in. suppported by an 8in. steel ferrule. The remainder of the haft is wood decorated with hammered brass rings and pierced bands and vertical strips. The haft terminates with a silver alloy butt that may be cast.

I don't see how this one could be a fighting axe as it has no balance at all past the bottom of the steel ferrule. It feels clumsy and fragile if held by any wooden portion. I am supposing all the "bling" made this example more of a status or ceremonial piece?

I'd love to learn more about these, and an estimation of the age of this one. I have cleaned up the brass and silver to accentuate their details.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 04:57 PM   #2
CharlesS

I found this period photo of a Apayao warrior with a very similar axe in a previous thread.
Attached Images

Old 19th May 2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Charles, I can only say that you would find it hard to acquire a nicer example of a Kalinga axe than the one you show here. The photo you posted below of the Apayao Warrior I believe shows an axe most would refer to as more of a Bontoc style. There is a wonderful thread on the Kalinga axe located here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...Origin+Kalinga Actually I believe a link to this thread should be placed in the "Classic Threads" Sticky. I hope that this will be of some help to you.

Best,
Robert

P.S. If you ever decide you are tired of looking at this piece please place my name on the top of the "I want it" list.

Last edited by Robert; 19th May 2016 at 05:35 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Marcus

Default Here is mine

Robert is right, the thread he links to is a great discussion. I enjoyed it as I was reflecting on this recent acquisition from Oriental Arms.
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Oliver Pinchot

Beautiful acquisition, Charles. Nicest of my experience.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Robert
EAAF Staff

Marcus, thank you for posting photos another fine example of what IMHO I believe to be a later (though very nice example) of a kalinga axe for comparison to the one Charles has been so fortunate to acquired. I would have felt very fortunate indeed if I were to have been able to add either of these pieces to my own collection. My congratulations to you both on your good fortune.

Best,
Robert
Old 20th May 2016, 12:23 PM   #7
CharlesS

Hi guys,

Thanks for the commentary and input. Again, this type of piece is not in my collecting area of interest, but this one had so much instant eye appeal it was hard to resist.

Marcus, your example is interesting as well with the brass inlaid haft. Not only would that provide for a good grip, but I am amazed that so much intricate hammering could be done without breaking the haft.

Robert, the thread you mentioned is outstanding. Originally I had only seen page 1, and did not realize how long, comprehensive and varied it really was.

Thanks again.

Last edited by CharlesS; 20th May 2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 20th May 2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Charles, very nice example you have shown. Definitely a status piece.

Marcus, it's good to see the authentic brass inlay style. There are some recently made versions that use metal staples to produce a similar pattern and these are just brutal to hold or try to use--bloodied palm and fingers from gripping the sharp metal inserts makes them purely display items!

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 01:39 AM   #9
Marcus

Default Life or Death in Luzon

I just got in an old copy of the book by Samuel Kane. This is the front piece.
Attached Images

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 02:30 AM   #10
Spunjer

Yowza!
the tip on that is silver??? now i have to look at mine closely if it is as well, lol.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:59 AM   #11
Robert
EAAF Staff

Charles, after looking at this axe over and over it is starting to look very familiar to me. Did this by chance come to you from Lew's personal collection when it was sold?

Best,
Robert
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:40 AM   #12
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Charles, after looking at this axe over and over it is starting to look very familiar to me. Did this by chance come to you from Lew's personal collection when it was sold?

Best,
Robert
No Robert. It was an Ebay purchase, but not from Lew's collection or Lee. Now was it originally owned by Lew?...I don't know.
Old 24th May 2016, 06:30 PM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Congratulations Charles!

This is indeed a Kalinga status and ceremonial piece. In the past I had been saying that this is a datu piece, but since then I have discovered that this type belongs to great warriors of note. The designs are based on body tattoos (that are earned through head hunting and deeds). Such a person might even be a leader or pangat, but decisions are made by a counsel of pangats, unlike the datu in the south.

The Bontoc, et al, also hold similar practices when it comes to this type of head axe.

A very prestigious piece.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 06:34 PM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
Yowza!
the tip on that is silver??? now i have to look at mine closely if it is as well, lol.
Ron, the bottom sleeve is usually not of silver but nickel silver. I have metal tested several of these over the years and this is what I have found - no silver so far.

Good question though.
Old 24th May 2016, 08:40 PM   #15
t dennee

Hmmmm... maybe I WILL polish the brass on mine.
t dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 12:18 AM   #16
CharlesS

Thanks Battara! Great info!
Old 26th May 2016, 03:30 PM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

You're welcome my friend.

And t dennee, silver, copper, and brass are ok to polish and clean, but not bronze (I do). So polish away!!!!!

And Marcus, I think yours is more for usage than ceremonial - looks a little stronger than the ceremonial ones. Again, however, those inlays are more from tattoo designs, basically tattoo-ing the piece in a different method than Charles' piece.
Old 6th June 2016, 12:41 AM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

And here is my Kalinga/Tinguian example:
Attached Images

Old 6th June 2016, 12:42 AM   #19
Battara
EAAF Staff

And for good measure, here is my Bontoc example:
Attached Images