Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th October 2016, 09:29 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default The Saudi Dojan Khanjar

So in order to dismiss much of the misinformation regarding a rather interesting style of dagger I decided to write a little of the information I gathered thus far.

- the modern name of this dagger is dojani, as currently named by its wearers and as it was called since the 50's. Origin of the name is derived from an accented pronounciation of a famous dagger/sword maker, AbdulMajid alDajani (and sons... and cousins :-))

- the style is not worn by any particular tribe. But its quite favoured by Southern Saudi Arabians (with the Omanis and Yemenis having their own famed styles)

- it has variants, such as alduda style which only differs in the filigree formation on the silver parts.

-The style is not strict to the south in its current and modern use.

-makers in the Hijaz area (as far as Madina) and Alhasa are the main area of production. With AlHasa makers having a higher reputation of making the finest daggers. Some Saudis travel to Oman to make such daggers as custom orders. It is supposedly cheaper.

- some are made by skilled Indian workers. Direct copies of those made by their traditional Arab counterparts.

- the style is without any doubt has similarities to various Omani styles. But the closest to what can be considered its predecessor was a style worn in Hijaz (abundant in my collection and images will be shared soon) but have influenced the dagger styles to regions as far as Ha'il. Its near identical to the dojani, but wit minimum curve and a different style of wire wrap over the cloth/leather amidst the scabbard.

- famous makers of the style by region are:

Hijaz:
Almarri workshop
AlHawashi workshop
Almadani workshop (in Madina)
Alshehri workshop (Khamis Mushait)

AlHasa and Hafouf (the workshops all belong ti related families):
AlEssa workshop (still working)
AlDajani workshop (supposedly a member is still working, the son if Abdulmajid)

Riyadh:
Various Indian makers
AlSufayyan (retired)

The example shown the one on the right is made by AbdulMajid alDajani and the brighter one on the left is from AlHawashi workshop.

Non are made by mythical flower tribes.
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 10:19 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I believe you are right. One way to spot these is the continuous UUUUUUUUUdesign running above the belt rings. However I urge caution since one Omani variant has these as well: ...The Al Wustah Khanjar seen at http://khanjar.om/Old.html

The hilt tends to be quite beefed up...thick... but the criss-cross wiring below the belt is usually over a felt backing and rather open. Most people get mixed up because it looks a bit like a Royal Omani Khanjar which is probably where the design originates but they are otherwise unrelated (except for the credible trade link). Omani Khanjars do not have a flower stamp on the reverse nor do they have Yemeni names inscribed.

A few weapons may have been made in Oman and imported to Saudia..where they may have been stamped with the bunch of flowers emblem, but regarding this how do we word the Khanjars name?... I think the general principal is based on where the majority are made... Dojanni sounds entirely plausible.

For years these weapons have been classed as Omani without proof or wrongly cited as such. Until Forum got stuck into the problem it was virtually impossible to even find a viable map of the region and let it also be noted that both regions have been hugely difficult to visit. In fact the area in the Asir went into virtual blackout for almost half a century, therefor, it is hardly surprising that difficulties were encountered...Al Ahsa Oasis region fared hardly any easier.

The local Omani name is Habaabi or "of Abha".

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 25th October 2016 at 02:49 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 08:04 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Though the Dojani khanjar shares common designs with Omani styles (some later makers adopted more Omani features) it is though, a later evolution of the style shared in these images.

Both these daggers are early, dating (according to examples of provenance) to the king AbdulAziz era and likely slightly earlier. The main differences are the wire wrapping style and the minimal curve on the scabbard. Now for this style, I am not 100% certain where it is originated. Atleast not in a sure way.
Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2016, 08:08 PM   #4
A.alnakkas

But another similar style is the Hijazi I have spoken about. Earliest examples trace to Hijaz and is part of the dress of the Shareefs. The style is very similar to the 'early' Dojan style just significantly smaller, usually made in all gold or all silver construction. Some examples have no filigree work but the earlier ones do.
Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2016, 08:12 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

This is a Ahsa production for the Saudi government as gifts and dress. It is based on the Hijazi style but with some minor editions. The style while cannot be found in documents, appears to have been adopted in mass by the Saudi Government after the unification of the state. With the earlier (Examples worn by the Shareefs) appear older.

Another observation that this particular design is also found in Ottoman influenced states such as AlRasheed of Ha'il.
Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2016, 08:15 PM   #6
A.alnakkas

Saudi researchers I have contacted suggest that some khanjars in Hijaz were made by Ottoman craftsmen. But non provided an example for me to view and compare to ones I tracked to Arab makers. Could it be like the picture? Niello work was not the speciality of any Arab maker I know of.

Note on this example: The construction is that of a khanjar but it has features that are different like niello and a wootz blade. But the engraving style on the gold parts are very similar to decoration made by Arab makers. Its a confusing piece, but one could suggest it was made by maker representing the Ottomans? Or a Dagestani in Mecca? :-) if anyone can assist, I appreciate it.
Attached Images

Old 4th November 2016, 07:26 AM   #7
DaveA

Default Design

This is magnificent. With all the different design elements it risks being just too much, but it is not. I love the multiple layers, and the gold over the darker background. Thanks for sharing.

Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote