Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th May 2013, 07:33 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Two Interesting Moro Barongs

I have just added two very interesting barongs to my collection, both interesting for very different reasons. Both scabbards here are recent.

One has a very nice pattern welded blade, but it is the hilt that is of particular interest. It is carved in floral motifs throughout. I have never a barong hilt finished in this style. The hilt is octagonal, which I typically associate with later pieces and perhaps Tausig(??), but the blade and ferrule don't seem to be of later quality, but instead seem standard to what we would expect from late 19th to early 20th century pieces.

I am not sure we will ever know if the carving was intended from the beginning or was an afterthought, but comments and opinions are welcomed.

The second barong's blade is of interest. It is of homogenous steel with a thickened ridge about midway through the blade and shows two parallel lines of "hamon". Normally I would associate this thickening in the blade with a shandigan blade, but the ridge on this blade starts much further away from the edge then is the norm. I have included an example for comparison.

So, does this anomaly qualify as a shandigan blade or is this simply a forger's attempt to create a blade with unique aesthetics???

Again, comments and opinions are welcomed.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 5th May 2013 at 09:53 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

So YOU got the wonderfully carved barong. Thought it was a great and unusual piece. Noticed the flower motif on it reminds me of the same motif used on Visayan pieces.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 11:53 AM   #3
CharlesS

Battara...would you consider that second barong shandigan...or something else?
Old 6th May 2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Spunjer

wow! beautiful barungs, bro! really love the carvings on the handle!! in regards to your question, both are considered shandigans. the whole concept behind that is shave as much weight off the barung without sacrificing the integrity of the edge, so the only place to do that would be on the main body of the blade.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
CharlesS

Makes perfect sense Spunjer. Interesting how the two shandigans have two very different perspectives on how much could be shaved off the blade!!

Thanks for the input.
Old 6th May 2013, 07:43 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Okay, just wow!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 08:40 PM   #7
kino

Somewhat the same concept as having a hollow ground blade?
Great pieces.
The scabbards aren't too shabby either, good work. Did you make them?
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 09:05 PM   #8
CharlesS

I did not make the scabbards, Kino, but I am sure the forumite that did will be pleased to hear that!

Anyone have any idea about the origin of the barong with floral hilt? I am assuming the octagonal shape would be a clue and I think perhaps Tausig, but am not sure....
Old 7th May 2013, 12:29 AM   #9
kai

Hello Charles,

Congrats, I like these barung!

Quote:
One has a very nice pattern welded blade, but it is the hilt that is of particular interest. It is carved in floral motifs throughout. I have never a barong hilt finished in this style. The hilt is octagonal, which I typically associate with later pieces and perhaps Tausig(??), but the blade and ferrule don't seem to be of later quality, but instead seem standard to what we would expect from late 19th to early 20th century pieces.
Maybe not the finest carving quality but still very nice and rare! I have no doubts this being a genuine late 19th c. barung.

I am adding pics (from Erik) of another barung with octagonal hilt; carving is of a somewhat different style though.

Quote:
I am not sure we will ever know if the carving was intended from the beginning or was an afterthought, but comments and opinions are welcomed.
If the carving was not original, the fit of the silver sleeve would not be as good IMHO.

Quote:
The second barong's blade is of interest. It is of homogenous steel with a thickened ridge about midway through the blade and shows two parallel lines of "hamon". Normally I would associate this thickening in the blade with a shandigan blade, but the ridge on this blade starts much further away from the edge then is the norm. I have included an example for comparison.
Is the ridge really the thickest section of the blade? Typical shandigan blades are usually hollow ground between the ridge and the back of the blade; this one looks more like flat ground?

Please post close-ups of both blades. Neat hardening job on the second (if not laminated)!

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 03:29 AM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Charles, and like so many other I would like to congratulate you on scoring these wonderful shandigan barongs. I only have the one below but noticed that the end of the hilt has a striking resemblance to the one that Kai posted the photos of. Could you by chance let me know who it was that made the great looking scabbards for your barongs?

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 01:28 AM   #11
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Charles, and like so many other I would like to congratulate you on scoring these wonderful shandigan barongs. I only have the one below but noticed that the end of the hilt has a striking resemblance to the one that Kai posted the photos of. [B]Could you by chance let me know who it was that made the great looking scabbards for your barongs?[/B]
Best,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the kind words. The scabbards were made by fellow forum member Philip Tom.