Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th February 2023, 02:05 PM   #1
serdar

Exclamation Yatagan text for translation, anyone, please!

Helou, im a antique weapons colector, mostly of ottoman and hussar weapons, i have few yatagans i would like to translate, but in my country there are no translator, so far i didnt find any. So if anyone knows arabic or otoman and could translate, thank you!
Pictures are from one yatagan three cartouches in gold, and from another in silver, and from one yatagan that is in display, i need to take it out to photograph it.
I uploaded pictures of full yatagans.

1. White one or (bjelosapac ili bjeloporac) with silver engraving is from Bosnia from Foća, it is dated year 1875 and is one of last yatagans ever made, (it is from battle of Vucji dol from 1876) becouse of austrian ban, its blade is of Taban construction a very hard metal inserted into softer metal, very curved and spine is chiseled in triangular form with arches, (i will photograph deatils as soon i discover how to resize that detailed photo) ears or kabze are walrus ivory, and hasrma and parazvan are gold plated brass.
Scabard is heavy leather stitched with wire (turkish ziper), and thick heavy goldplated brass chiseled in beautiful motives, with fish head.

2. Black one or (crnosapac ili crnoporac) with gold engravings is from turkey date is unknown i couldnt find it, it is taken from otomans in Montenegro in battle, blade is sharpened a lot, soo presumably it saw a lot of action on battlefield, it has caracteristic slight twist from strikes (i found it on every used yatagan, so it is very sure way to know a yatagan was used for its purpose, but used in wrong way, more like saber or a sword, cause yatagan is more of a slash or hook and pull weapon for close combat, than it is a choping weapon, but it does chop very well) blade spine is of similar triangular shape with chiseling like bosnian, but more finer and precise done, handle is rhinocerous horn and is very beautiful especialy under light, hasrma and parazvan are thick sculpted silver.
Scabard is thick engraved leather it has reliefs and motives, and is wire stitched (turkish zipper), on mouth is thick silver piece, sculpted in wavy patern on edges, and engraved, and on the end of a scabard is a silver fish head.

So if anyone can translate, thank you very much!
Attached Images

Last edited by serdar; 5th February 2023 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling corections and pictures
serdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2023, 04:41 PM   #2
serdar

Default Yatagan text for translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar View Post
Helou, im a antique weapons colector, mostly of ottoman and hussar weapons, i have few yatagans i would like to translate, but in my country there are no translator, so far i didnt find any. So if anyone knows arabic or otoman and could translate, thank you!
Pictures are from one yatagan three cartouches in gold, and from another in silver.
������
And third yatagan cartouche picture.

I hope pictures are good quality, couse im bad at photo editing, and they are much higher resolution than i could upload.
If anyone can translate, thank you very much!!! 👍🏻

Last edited by serdar; 5th February 2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 5th February 2023, 03:42 AM   #3
fennec

Hi, I know arabic, but not as well to translate (I can read most of those words, not all, but don't really understand literal arabic, I speak a dialect). I'll ask some friend and tell you
fennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 07:47 AM   #4
Tim Simmons

The site requires full images items please.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 09:29 AM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
Yes of course; please do so !
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 10:20 AM   #6
serdar

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
I will post full images, im havin trouble resizing them so they can fit into upload.
Old 5th February 2023, 01:00 PM   #7
serdar

Fixed, full pictures aded, i have few more, but i must take’m down from display, (they are wire secured).
Cheers!
Old 5th February 2023, 04:28 PM   #8
serdar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec View Post
Hi, I know arabic, but not as well to translate (I can read most of those words, not all, but don't really understand literal arabic, I speak a dialect). I'll ask some friend and tell you
Thank you very much for youre effort! Im only good with numbers, but on this one i cant even find numbers 😂
Old 5th February 2023, 07:15 PM   #9
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Last photo shows date of 1222/3 A.H. equivalent to 1807/8 A.D.
Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2023, 06:45 PM   #10
serdar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick View Post
Hi,
Last photo shows date of 1222/3 A.H. equivalent to 1807/8 A.D.
Regards,
Norman.
Thank you very much for help Norman, cheers 😃👍🏻
Old 12th February 2023, 08:38 PM   #11
serdar

Why cant i edit my post???
Old 13th February 2023, 02:52 AM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Perhaps I can help with your editing posts

serdar,

Which post were you trying to edit? There is a time limit of 24 hours for editing posts. After that time only the Staff can edit posts. Please send me a PM (Personal Message) if you are having difficulties with the web site and I will try to help sort them out for you.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote