Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd February 2023, 07:43 PM   #1
drac2k

Default 3 PNG Weapons & a possible 4th?

I was lucky enough to acquire these weapons recently. One is a Mendi Fighting Axe(these were banned in PNG in 1968), The maces I believe are from the Kamoro group or the Eastern Highlands based on the least common method of securing the star mace head to the shaft. The stone axe is a mystery to me and I can not find anything similar. The heavy, relatively sharp axe head with a medial ridge is securely fastened to a stout 31" shaft which appears to be coated with some type of pitch, etc. and one can see where the covering is cracked. It is a formidable weapon.
Any help in its identification would be helpful.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 12:56 AM   #2
Interested Party

I think the stone ax is more of a tool than a weapon. I wish I had more information.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 01:19 AM   #3
Edster

Stone axes have been superseded by steel axes and machetes since major contacts in the 1930s. Stone axes were continued to be produced in certain areas since and continued use as gifts including wedding payments.

There is a good book on stone axe making & use and I'll try to locate the reference. Or shall I say, "There is no "try". Either "do" or "not do".

Ed

Not the book, but a good recent article:
https://news.pngfacts.com/2020/02/th...t%20the%20time.

Last edited by Edster; 3rd February 2023 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Added article.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 01:34 AM   #4
Edster

Here's the stone axe article. Not a book, but informative none the less.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PNG Stone Axes.pdf (1.29 MB, 229 views)
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 03:20 AM   #5
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster View Post
Here's the stone axe article. Not a book, but informative none the less.
Thanks Ed, very interesting so far. I ground a crude one out once. A very time-consuming process. I never mounted it or tried to use it. It takes a lot of patience to use one if you are used to steel.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 04:47 AM   #6
drac2k

Thanks to both of you for the comments and the information. It could be a tool, but I thought it was more of a weapon because of the substantial medial ridge on either side that would make it counterproductive to slicing like an ax. It certainly could be a ceremonial piece.
The spike on the backside makes reminds me more of a war hammer.
Old 3rd February 2023, 03:44 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

I think I have seen your round bladed axe as being from the Solomon Islands. I like the stone blade. I think I have info in a book somewhere, will look.

I have a paper, {Stone Axes Factories in the Highlands of East New Guinea. Chappell, J } ; Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 32 1966.

Some of it is here on this site uploaded many years ago. It helped me identify the origin of one of my axes because of the stone structure from one particular quarry.

Here the stone axes and clubs I have. I did have more but sent them to auction, no deep regrets, I needed to make changes. The first axe on the flour is the fine green stone type with a thin blade only 10mm thick in the centre near the hafting. The one on top is the blade identified in the paper, a heavy blade 28mm thick. The last one seems to be a general purpose axe with a short stubby blade 3cm thick. The clubs I believe are Angu or Kukuku .

Found the link.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=stone+quarry
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 3rd February 2023 at 03:50 PM. Reason: adding link
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 03:47 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Forgot to ask. The star club you have, is it made of a light weight stone painted black? I had one which was made of a pumice like stone.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2023, 04:19 PM   #9
drac2k

First, thanks for the information. The star club is heavy(not pumice), and that is its natural color, minus soot, oil, dirt, nicotine, etc.