Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 9th January 2023, 01:29 PM   #1
eftihis

Default European naval pistol?

Could you please help me with identification of this pistol? It is certainly European, and from the brass barel i presume is made for sea service. But which country an d what date? Is it a specific navy model or a private purchase?
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2023, 07:30 PM   #2
adrian

from the brass barel i presume is made for sea service. But which country an d what date? Is it a specific navy model or a private purchase?

Some naval small arms had brass barrels, however that was simply an alternative medium for gun barrels in this period & should not be taken as a 'sea service' attribution per se. I know of no navy who provided such elaborate pistols for their seamen, which were usually of very basic design; so it is a commercially produced pistol. The general features of this pistol, the straight lockplate, reinforced pan, etc place it, in my opinion, into the late 1700s & early 1800s.
The proof mark should be recognised by readers, is it a crown over K? Perhaps a close up of that will help provide which country.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2023, 11:12 AM   #3
corrado26

The round foreend of the trigger guard and the style of the sideplate is particularly typical for French pistols of the second half of the 18th century. The lack of proofmarks clearly affirms this. It is certainly a navy pistol made upon a private order of a French officer of the mercantile marine or the navy.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2023, 02:35 PM   #4
Raf

Yes its French C 1770 but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the brass barrel and lock plate indicate a naval use. The cock is a working life replacement and this together with the extemporised barrel band suggests it's had a hard life somewhere out east.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2023, 07:41 PM   #5
Fernando K

Hello

I agree. Shortly after the cock is fired, the jaws screw will hit the frizzen at the top end. The upper jaw is too long, as is the screw. The band that holds the barrel does not correspond to the model

Affectionately
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote