Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th September 2005, 07:10 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Interesting tulwar

This one finished recently on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6563090812

Kilij style of blade with a cut out central fuller, and a transitional hilt with features of the Indian basket hilt and the later Indo-Muslim hilt.

Unusual piece.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

No Ian, you are not overdoing it, it is a most unusual weapon. I have never seen one with a blade like this before, and although it looks like a fighting weapon, I doubt that the cut in the blade would be a very good idea - maybe it has been done later, who knows?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Could it have had little beads in the middle and now that section had worn away?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 09:41 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Battar,

I doubt this very much, as the grove is far too broad. There must have been another 'meaning' to it - but what?
I realy wonder, why make such a grove at a place, where the blade should be at its strongest?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 10:22 PM   #5
Ahriman

I experienced that any kind of cutout in a blade, especially when long, can and will cause disgusting vibration while impacting. I don't know what this sword is, but I would've never used it. Blah, directly on the "sweet spot"... It'd kill my wrist.
Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 10:24 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

You know , where the open part on the blade is the metal at each end looks paper thin . Perhaps this area had rusted through and was then filed out to enhance what would have been a very ugly looking area in an otherwise interesting sword . The pierced basket is a rather old style IIRC and if the blade is the same age and had been neglected , well .........
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Ahriman

I almost posted the same... but then, I saw that you were faster. This theory would explain the uneven slot-end... and I think that a deep fuller could corrode quite fast, especially in the hands of a negligent user. You know, all that blood, and you can't really wipe it out... And this theory would explain why it's on the "sweet spot". Or I'm just too tired and I'm writing idiotisms.
Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote