Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
AJ1356

Default Shashka mostlikely Bukharan

This is the latest addition to my collection. A Bukharan shashqa, lots of silver work, nice wootz steel the pictures do not show the pattern real well, but one of these days I'll take some better pictures. The scabord is missing one of the rings. I think the handle is bone. comment and more info would be appreciated, the inscription is not clear it says لا الا which would mean there is no but, I think was supposed to say there is not God but Allah, but the person gave up half way...
Attached Images

AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 05:15 PM   #2
TVV

Very nice, thank you for sharing. This is righ up Ariel's alley and he would probably jump in with his comments when he sees the thread. I agree that the ricasso indicates a Central Asian origin.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
the inscription is not clear it says لا الا which would mean there is no but, I think was supposed to say there is not God but Allah, but the person gave up half way...
Good evening
if I translate your Arabic writting;
- "la la" either "no no"
but from the blade, we can't read something, I mean in Arabic
after, it's pure speculation

you mentioned; "Bukhara" as origin, might be,
but at this moment I have an interrogation,
no turquoise in decor, either on scabbard, or the hilt?
it's one of the particularities for daggers coming from this town
the handle is more symptomatically of Caucasus (East of Caspian Sea)
even, Circassian, than Uzbek (West of Caspian Sea)
the roots of Bukhara population are "Tajik" as well as in Samarkand,
that means, more Persian, than Cossack

it's my thought at the sight of this beautiful dagger,
congratulations for this nice acquisition
regards

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 12:49 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice piece AJ !
While this shashka does resemble Uzbek examples, which is likely a better classification than Bukharen in this case, it should be noted that Afghan examples also bear close resemblances. In research done many years ago in trying to identify one of these it seems that the authorities I consulted emphasized this dilemma.Uzbekistan shares a southern border with Afghanistan, and as Dom notes, Bukharen weapons often show a propensity toward the use of turquoise in decoration, but it seems more on daggers. The Bukharen sabres actually are not related to shashkas and are seen with much different hilts, typically with five rivets.

Uzbek shashkas do have this type of long silvered scabbard tip, usually fluted,and it is important to note the extension of the backstrap of the hilt, a characteristic of Central Asian weapons such as Khyber knives as well as shamshirs and of course, these shashkas. The rudimentary work on this appears possibly early 20th century, these are usually calyx shaped.

Regardless, these are extremely rare weapons that seldom turn up in auctions as far as I have seen, and I would presume this is a Uzbek shashka from regions toward Afghanistan. Russia's "Great Game" from 1813 until the beginning of the 20th century established Bukhara, Khiva and many of these principalities as protectorates, and the influence of Caucasian shashkas used by officers in Russian regiments including Cossacks seems likely to have entered these regions through the 19th century.

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 20th July 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:05 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice

A nice piece AJ,

I have a few examples of these Central Asian/Afghan sabres myself along with a Bukharan sabre and others.
Other member in the forum also hold examples of the type you show and the Bukharan sabres. You will notice a very distinct difference in styling.

Exact regional aspects are hard to place.
Some show strong Russian military regulation type fittings accosiated directly with Afghanistan regions and seen on the the later Afghanistan Pulowar and other later regualtion swords seen in the hands of Afghan Military officials of the 19th century, yet others show strong local Ethnic influence as does yours.

Yours appears to have a better 'unique custom' blade where others follow a trade pattern seen within the regions.

Ariel has discussed several within these pages that show armoury marks specific to Afghanistan but this doesn't seem to be conclusive to origins due to the vast type of weapons from other regions seen with this stamp.
This example you show is a nice looker with a blade that shows very good potential. Nice to see silver fittings too. Your grip slabs are newish and replaced, likely to keep the old warrior alive and useful. A shame to see the bolster riveted. Overall a nice old piece with good potential.

Your PM ability is not operational.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:14 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Moderated status Gav.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 02:44 AM   #7
AJ1356

The dealer first presented this to me as a Safavid sword, and when i first saw it i doubt it that, and knew it had a Central Asian origin. The possibilities are high that is is Afghan, but for certain I can say it is not government or military, I have seen those as well and the workmanship is not at the level of this peice. So ethnic Northern Afghanistan or Central Asian / Bukharan seems probable to me.(one thing to remember I am told by dealers here that the ability to make wootz blades in afghanistan were lost around the time of Safavids, that is probably when they see blades with Jowhar they think it is Safavi) This does not have any kind of simi-precious jewels work, but I have a tiny knofe that does, well take pics later I do appreciate all your posts as i personally did not know anything about shashkas until i saw this and started researching.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote