Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th December 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
neekee

Default 18th Century hanger or cutlass probably Dutch

Hello, all ~

I'm new here, so I'll shortly introduce myself. I'm from France, and love history, and have been fascinated by the Medieval period eversince I was a kid. I am by no mean an expert in anything, but take interest in all kind of topics, ranging from weaponry to coins or ancient tools, for example.

I only discovered this forum recently and have been amazed by the quality of the posts and information being shared here. It's still to this day not so easy to find valuable information about early Medieval to early Renaissance weaponry, and I have been reading topics on this forum with great surprise and interest for a week now.

My financial state forbids me to collect original weapons from these times, but I do have a few things that were passed to me from my family that i can share if you're interested. Nothing too fancy though, I'm afraid.

I did want to ask you guys about this blade because it's the only one that still partly holds some mystery to me. I've seen it around my grand parents' house since childhood and always thought it was only some 20th century decoration item, but noticed it was actually a quite proper weapon when I started actually researching those things some years ago.

It was identified before as a "19th century German hunting sword", but no one so far could identify the marking on it.

I wanted to ask you guys if you could validate or not this identification, and even better, if you could find the blacksmith to whom belonged this marking.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the shared knowledge !

blade width: ~55cm
handle width: ~13cm
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 16th December 2013 at 08:47 PM.
neekee is offline   Reply With Quote