Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th August 2018, 10:00 PM   #1
kahnjar1

Default Moroccan???Sword

This was posted by me some years ago, but not much information was forthcoming http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14033
As there a number of daggers/knives up for ID at present I thought it worth trying again to see if anyone can help. The original post is linked above.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 10:30 PM   #2
TVV

I do not think there is any doubt that this was made in Morocco - blade, hilt and scabbard. It is also a very unique piece, possibly one of a kind. The three rings are interesting, giving two different options for attaching the baldric, further suggesting that this may have been a custom order.

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 11:20 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Hi Teodor,
If you check out the posts to the original thread you will see that Gavin posted pics of another of these, which is different in terms of the scabbard make up. The one he shows has two wide bands, whereas mine has no bands.
So there are at least 2 of whatever these are in existance.
I agree that the general blade design is typically Moroccan. The hilt has Indian traits, but that could just be coincidence.
Stu
Old 15th August 2018, 12:41 AM   #4
TVV

You are right, there are at least 2 such swords/long daggers, possibly even originating from the same shop. The decorative motif on the hilts and scabbards is 100% Moroccan. The bird's head on the other hand is interesting and unusual and may hold the key to solving the mystery, but I really do not know its origin or significance.

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 04:29 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

There is an even older posting (2004) about this same sword here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64

Quote:
I found this sword in Marrakesh, together with a very nice Nimcha, a couple of years ago. According to the dealer, who also had a lot of Sefardic religious items to sell, this is a Jewish sword from the Atlas mountains.
I have looked in several reference books but haven't been able to find anything even close to it?
Does any of you recognize what it is?
The balance of the sword is very good, suitable for slashes as well as follow up circular thrusts, and perfect for the Kali bridging movements I like to use. It's of identical length and weight as the Talibons and Ginuntings I usually practise with.

Mike

PS Sorry about the picture quality but only have a mobile phone camera at the moment.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2018, 05:23 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
There is an even older posting (2004) about this same sword here:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64
Hi Ian,
This post is also in the original link I gave. Note the difference in the scabbard.....mine does not have the 2 wide bands that this one has, so they are different swords.
Stu
Old 15th August 2018, 06:00 AM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yes, very similar indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi Ian,
This post is also in the original link I gave. Note the difference in the scabbard.....mine does not have the 2 wide bands that this one has, so they are different swords.
Stu
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote