Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th October 2012, 08:22 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default So What is This?

Hey all,

I found this one at an antique shop tossed between ALOT of touristy stuff. It also had a touristy scabbard but the hilt seemed abit better then usual so I had a closer look and bought it. I wont jump to conclusions so seeking more expertised opinion.
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 08:34 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

The real (rhino horn) thing ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Could be, thats what I think. But the scabbard and blade are crap lol
Old 10th October 2012, 10:10 PM   #4
kai

Hello Lotfy,

I'm rather positive that this is what you think it is...

Any signs that the hilt got refitted with a new blade?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 05:50 AM   #5
A.alnakkas

Hey Kai,

Thanks. I am positive its rhino too. Though alittle damaged from bad storing it has not chipping like other low quality Yemeni horns. The orange like structure is widened from being in a humid place for a while then straight to a dry place with no oiling done.

Took photos of the blade and scabbard will post them once am home. The blade is low quality 2 piece type with an obvious weld, though its connected to the blade using luq which is all traditional.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
A.alnakkas

Thanks to all,

Here are some morning shots. Various people who dealt with rhino horn before say this is rhino, one of them I visited today and he removed the dirt and fungus (?) that was covering it but it is so dry and looks to be pale in colour which really confuses me. I never seen any rhino hilt so light in colour. The polish did make it more transclucent though.
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Maybe, as the ill look of the hilt didn't reveal its real value, people realized it only deserved a cheap blade remount
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 11:08 AM   #8
A.alnakkas

Yep,

I have a cow (?) horn jambiya (touristy, and is a gift from Yemen by my Uncle's wife family) the colour of the cow horn is very close to this one but the structure is different. This is perhaps why someone would fit such crude mounts on what seems to be rhino hilt?? One of the differences between the touristy gift hilt and rhino one is that its untranslucent.
Old 11th October 2012, 03:53 PM   #9
A.alnakkas

I wonder though, if Rhino can be found on this supposedly touristy jambiya.. Does this mean its a common practice or was it just one off?

Lotfy
Old 11th October 2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I wonder though, if Rhino can be found on this supposedly touristy jambiya.. Does this mean its a common practice or was it just one off?

Lotfy

Salaams A.alnakkas This is Rhino. 100% .. The spaghetti structure gives the clue. Amazing that it is on an otherwise touristy item. The major cause of the demise of the Rhino was the Yemeni dagger industry... now its the Chinese medicine syndrome.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 05:09 PM   #11
spiral

Quote:

Lotfy

In the 70s & 80s, When some previously poor Yemini men, earned large sums in the Saudi oil industry, many poor quality blades & fittings were made, with rhino horn handles. They were for the local market for people who had not much expierience or even taste perhaps? but know had enough money to buy one with a "coverted" rhino handle.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 05:15 PM   #12
A.alnakkas

Thanks Ibrahim and Spiral!

I think anyone looking at this piece would likely be paranoid for the next time he sees a touristy khanjar/jambiya :P
Old 25th October 2012, 01:36 PM   #13
A.alnakkas

Yet another find. This one have a better decorated hilt in much better condition. The blade is forged compared to the other one. The scabbard is rubbish though but looks like low quality silver..
Attached Images

Old 25th October 2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Yet another find. This one have a better decorated hilt in much better condition. The blade is forged compared to the other one. The scabbard is rubbish though but looks like low quality silver..

Salaams A.alnakkas Another Rhino Hilt... and a reasonable blade.. looks older.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 10:27 AM   #15
A.alnakkas

After some cleaning + oiling. This how it looks like, the transparency is from sunlight!
Attached Images

Old 26th October 2012, 08:46 PM   #16
spiral

Very Strange grain & appearence for rhino, needs a DNA or light spectrum test realy, to be confident, The Yemeni dealears {& the Chinese & Vietnamies of course} sell many things that have much resemblace to rhino , but are not.. More & more evry year... {Some are organic some not.}

Let The buyer beware. When something is worth so much theres a lot of brains working out how to make the money, especialy if a little bargain looms.

Spiral
Old 26th October 2012, 08:54 PM   #17
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Very Strange grain & appearence for rhino, needs a DNA or light spectrum test realy, to be confident, The Yemeni dealears {& the Chinese & Vietnamies of course} sell many things that have much resemblace to rhino , but are not.. More & more evry year... {Some are organic some not.}

Let The buyer beware. When something is worth so much theres a lot of brains working out how to make the money, especialy if a little bargain looms.

Spiral
Yep exactly what I think. I bought all these sold as touristy Yemeni stuff but the grain looks so right. What do you mean with light spectrum test?

I took pictures of it under direct flash light and will post them when I am back from the farm. Grain undet light looks like my other rhino pieces though.
Old 27th October 2012, 03:04 PM   #18
spiral

Indeed! When the Chinese check authenticity of Rhino horn they use infrared spectroscopy for 100% identification.

Theres a pdf about it here. linky

Heres a few pix of a non-rhino, organic material often used to duplicate rhino horn in both the middle east & china. It is dyed red but occurs in creme ,yellow & dark tones.

I wont name what the organic on a public forum to help prevent fostering any cruelty that may become even more common, due to fakery,market forces ,greed etc.

All the best,
Spiral
Attached Images

Old 27th October 2012, 05:56 PM   #19
A.alnakkas

Hey Spiral,

Thanks, thats very interesting.

Here are photos I took of the horn. I think its real rhino as it looks different then the one you show. The hilt on mine was fully patinised, I kept the patina on the whole piece except for the top part which I cleaned.

Regardless, I will be very careful with these... good thing they sell as touristy pieces. The implication of the potential that real rhino can be found in what appears to be touristy pieces is very interesting though
Attached Images

Old 28th October 2012, 09:47 AM   #20
spiral

Interesting indeed! & must admit looks very different in your new photos!

I cant be certan, but you also have the advantage of having it hand.

But yes there definatly is rhino on some cheap fittings & blades! They were still expensive in Saana when sold though!

Spiral