Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th August 2016, 09:20 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Massive Dha/Daab/Dah/Dao....But From Where???

Here is a lovely old massive dha/daab/dah/dao sword, the likes of which I have never seen. It is 59in. long overall with a 28in. long blade that is 2.25in. wide at its widest point, and 1/2in. thick at the forte. I have put it next to a more average sized dha for comparisons.

The blade style(dao) seems NW. Burmese even into Nagaland, but the long, elegant brass mounted hilt seems a bit refined for Naga blades. The blade shows a nice temper line and a lot of activity when etched, though I doubt little of this was shown in its original form.

It has been suggested this was a sparring weapon. I just can't see that. Sparring weapons generally don't have the ability to literally cut a man in half...this does.

Comments and opinions regarding this piece's origin are most welcome.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 12:32 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Looks like a three hander to me....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 02:29 PM   #3
drac2k

Wow, Charles, another great piece, from your consistently fantastic collection!
Maybe, like the old Japanese Tachi swords ,which were much longer than the katanas, it was used against cavalry.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 03:22 PM   #4
CharlesS

That is a great point Drac2k...and I had not thought of previously. The Chinese had a long handled dao for just that purpose, but the name escapes me.
Old 27th August 2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Royston

Are you thinking of the Zhanmadao Charles ?

Great sword by the way.

Cheers
Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 05:21 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Great dha Charles. I've seen a few of these massive ones and they could have been used for a number of purposes, some of which have been mentioned here.

As far as where it may have come from, I think it is unlikely to be Burmese. While the arrangement of ferrules resembles Burmese style, the high ratio of length of hilt to length of blade is not a Burmese trait. More likely Northern Thai/Shan or thereabouts IMO. The rounded pommel is consistent with that area also rather than Burman work.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 02:19 PM   #7
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Great dha Charles. I've seen a few of these massive ones and they could have been used for a number of purposes, some of which have been mentioned here.

As far as where it may have come from, I think it is unlikely to be Burmese. While the arrangement of ferrules resembles Burmese style, the high ratio of length of hilt to length of blade is not a Burmese trait. More likely Northern Thai/Shan or thereabouts IMO. The rounded pommel is consistent with that area also rather than Burman work.

Ian

But what about the blade style Ian? I don't see it as very Thai.
Old 28th August 2016, 02:21 PM   #8
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Are you thinking of the Zhanmadao Charles ?
Yes, Royston, that's it. Thanks!
Old 28th August 2016, 07:08 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

WOW NOW THAT IS A DHA I WOULD AGREE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MADE TO SERVE SOME SPECIAL FUNCTION. THE LARGE SWORDS OR PANABAS LIKE SWORDS USED TO KILL CATTLE FOR SPECIAL CEREMONIES AND OCCASIONS IS A POSSIBILITY. THE CALVARY USE OR POSSIBLY FOR USE BY GOLIATH SIZED PALACE GUARDS TO IMPRESS THE MASSES. CONGRATULATIONS THE DHAFIA RISES AGAIN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 09:38 PM   #10
Nathaniel

Lovely daab, Charles!

When I see the long handle swords like this I tend to think more of ethnic groups found in northern Burma, Northern Thailand, Southern Yunnan and Northern Laos.

I've seen some long swords which seemed more of parade or festival sword.

But there are long swords too which where part of central Thai and Lao military units. You can see those examples in the museums in Bangkok.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Nathaniel; 28th August 2016 at 10:50 PM.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 10:42 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
But what about the blade style Ian? I don't see it as very Thai.
Charles, you are correct. It is not a very Thai style of tip to the blade. However, we do see this style along the Yunnan border, from northern Burma to Laos--I have one or two examples made by the HuSa people (ethnically close to the Shan and living in nearby Yunnan) that bear their distinctive mark. The HuSa sold their knives and swords widely (including into Assam, Bhutan and Tibet) so where these were used could be some distance from the site of manufacture.

The hilt:blade ratio is a better guide of where this sword was made IMO. Northern Burmese (Kachin) dha and those from the various Assam-area groups preserve a short hilt even on some very long blades. To illustrate this, please see the pics attached that show several dha from Assam/N. Burma/Yunnan areas. Despite considerable variation in the length of the blades, the hilts are fairly uniform in length.

Nathaniel has nailed it I think.

Ian.
Attached Images

Old 28th August 2016, 11:53 PM   #12
CharlesS

Great input Ian...thanks!!!
Old 29th August 2016, 02:12 AM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Here is another one that was sold on the Oriental Arms site. A massive dha described by Artzi Yarom as follows:
"This Huge Dah sword is the biggest we have ever seen. Monstrous blade 38 inches long 3 inches wide, forged from good steel and with sharp edge. Wood handle bound with braided rattan ring 22 inches long 2 ˝ inches in diameter. The wood scabbard is bound with rattan bands. Total length 64 inches compared to an average of 35 inches in a more common Dah swords. To demonstrate the dimensions we are showing this monster next to a “normal” 33 inches Dah sword. ... Several of the rattan bands are a later replacement. Very unusual. Probably Burmese, late 19 or early 20C. ceremonial sword."
This one might be Burmese. It is quite plain and obviously intended for serious use.
Attached Images

Old 29th August 2016, 11:34 AM   #14
Sajen

Agree with Ian, Laos daab, Tai Lue, Dai? Very nice piece, congrats Charles!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote