Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th March 2008, 01:02 AM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default What Are These?

I found these on a website that Shahrial linked to in a recent thread. They apparently reside at the Koleksi Museum Geusan Ulun Bandung. From the looks of them they appear to have been made this way, not reformed to fit the dress. See the shape of the fuller in the last photo? Anybody see keris like these before or know more about them?
Attached Images

Last edited by David; 20th March 2008 at 08:34 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Newsteel

I was wondering too. The base looks like a keris, but the blade looks like a golok. However, it looks recently made (no more than 100 yrs).
Perhaps others might have better opinion or knowledge about this.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 04:52 AM   #3
PenangsangII

I would say these are badik category.
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Henk

I would say considering the dress, golok. The base of the blades do have keris features indeed.

Although I have to agree with newsteel about the age, I think this are well made pieces.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 02:15 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

hmmm....does the type of dress actually determine what these blades would be called. True they seem to be edged on only one side which is not a usual keris feature, but everything else about the blades says keris to me. All the ricikan seem to be there. Separate gonjos. Asymetric base. So how can one call it a golok or badik?
As for age, it is really impossible to tell, but to my eyes the blades look older than the dress.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Henk

I agree completely with you David. The base of these blades look completely like keris. Still the blades in my opinion towards the point look like forged into a dagger or machete form.
Maybe the empu made a joke??
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2008, 04:26 PM   #7
karset

Default curuk aul

Badek Curuk Aul.Badek not badik,Sundanese call it .
"curuk" mean finger,"Aul" is wild dog.
i dont know curuk aul,is dapur or not.Story of that Badek curuk aul was used
by Jaya Prakosa , a senior warrior from Pajajaran kingdom,he run away to Sumedang Larang Kingdom in around 1567 A.D or after Pajajaran "Burak"(lost from the earth).He and 3 other warrior also bring Pajajaran crown and give it to
Geusan Ulun,sumedang larang prince.
by the way Geusan ulun museum is 60km east from Bandung.Located at Sumedang.
karset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 01:26 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

There is a very rare type of Javanese pedang that has a kembang kacang and sogokan, in fact, the base of the blade is very similar to that of a keris, and sometimes the blade is waved. I have one, or perhaps two of these. I've been looking for them, but I cannot find them, if I ever do find them, I'll post pics.

These two Bandung pieces are in my opinion commercial creations that have utilised the concept of the pedang type that I mention.

It is difficult to tell too much from these photos, but my impression is that the forge work in the blades in not particularly wonderful---the material looks as if it might have been a bit hot short. The handle on the one without metal;work in the dress looks exactly like the sort of thing I saw in the 1970's; the dress on the more flamboyant of the two looks to be flashy but of no particular quality.

I believe these two pieces to be West Javanese commercial productions from the period after about 1960.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote