Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th September 2009, 09:42 PM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default Unique Gunong for discussion

I have recently purchased this modern made gunong from Kris Cutlery's Cecil Quirino because of its interesting look. Here is a descrition from the website:

"The 5 wave blade is 7 inches inches long with two thin grooves. Folded steel blade has a random pattern called beras watoh (scattered rice grain) in Indonesia. Brass guard and brass ferrule on the teak wood handle that has pentagonal (5 corners) cross section. Wood scabbard with brass fittings on both ends. Custom made for Kris Cutlery in 2001, Java Indonesia."

As the description says, it is a new gunong, Made in Java. I thought the mix of cultures in this blade was interesting. A Moro style blade with indonesian keris-style pamor applied to it. I was wondering if there was any historical precedence to it, or if this is just Mr Quirino taking creative lisence?

Either way, I find it a very interesting conversation piece and look foreward to either your insights or reactions to it.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 10:00 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Personally i don't think i care for it too much. Seems fairly roughly hewn and i am not too fond of the fittings. And i suppose i am a traditionalist at heart. You can probably still find a nice antique gugong for around the same price if you look hard enough.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I like the blade which is unique. Not so found of the hilt or mounts. I like okir on my mounts. Still an interesting piece. Guess Cecil had to do it this way since the Moro lands are dangerous now.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 07:19 PM   #4
ThePepperSkull

I thought the same thing. The fittings aren't very nice (aside from the wood used. That's actually very attractive in person, just the brass fittings are not the nicest), but I really like the blade. I'm not too familiar with Keris Pamor patterns so I don't know if the pamor on this is actually Beras Watoh as it claims but I thought it was beautiful.

Perhaps one day I may have it refitted with a new hilt and scabbard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I like okir on my mounts. Still an interesting piece. Guess Cecil had to do it this way since the Moro lands are dangerous now.
Sometimes I like simpler mounts but on this I would prefer okir as well. Not so much on the wood portions but perhaps on the metal bands. I have a visual in my head of a dark dark wood being used to replace the fittings on this piece, and with silver bands on the scabbard and silver ferrule on the hilt with okir designs on them. i think that would be a nice contrast to the pamor of the blade.

It's a shame that mindanao and areas surrounding are somewhat unsafe to the common traveller now. My grandmother, in her youth, travelled around the Phillippines and learned several dialects during those travels, including Tausug. she doesn't know much about Moro Weaponry unfortunately but she says that she finds Moro Culture interesting and different, what with her being an Ilocano woman.

I also hear that it's hard to find good quality modern made blades nowadays there anyways. I wonder if there still are smiths that make functional Moro blades... I hear things about one smith/forge in Sulu still making good blades, but those are only whispers among Silat and Arnis practicioners I have talked to, and many of them also say that Sulu is full of touristy-type blademakers as well. Oh well. Such is the dilemma of an ethnographic blade enthusiast who doesn't collect antiques :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Personally i don't think i care for it too much. Seems fairly roughly hewn and i am not too fond of the fittings. And i suppose i am a traditionalist at heart. You can probably still find a nice antique gugong for around the same price if you look hard enough.
According to a family tradition (or superstition, depending on your beliefs), I cannot personally own an antique blade. I do admire them and have handled and examined several, as I have friends who do not share my superstition. I'd say I have the same passion to learn about them as well.

This dynamic has made me search differently for ethnographic blades, namely modern made ones that are functional and not decorative. Many modern made pieces are just touristy and for show, especially among phillippines blades, BUT there ARE several pandays who still make legitimate and functional weaponry.

I read somewhere on these forums that if I don't collect antique weaponry, this is not the place to be, but I guess I kind of disagree. There are still smiths out there who seek to keep tradition and make blades that are still great, or those who seek to rediscover what is lost. Finding these men and examining their wares is what excites and drives my collecting habits... as well as finding some interesting yet less traditional pieces from time to time.

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 15th September 2009 at 07:47 PM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePepperSkull
I read somewhere on these forums that if I don't collect antique weaponry, this is not the place to be, but I guess I kind of disagree. There are still smiths out there who seek to keep tradition and make blades that are still great, or those who seek to rediscover what is lost. Finding these men and examining their wares is what excites and drives my collecting habits... as well as finding some interesting yet less traditional pieces from time to time.

I have many new kerises in my collection .

No big deal .

Need a close full shot of the blade to determine the pamor .

I like the blade; there's a historical circularity about it .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote