Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2015, 10:01 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Wahaika again..

i seem to be attracted to these short clubs. this one just ended tonite on ebay.

something bout it seemed to tell me it might be older than 'vintage'. seems slightly cruder than more recent ones i've seen, the thong hole doesn't look like it was made with a drill press.

described as : Vintage Maori Carved Wood Wahaika War Club from New Zealand. 37cm long, 14cm at its widest. In good condition. Has been varnished at some stage.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 1st January 2015 at 10:25 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:43 AM   #2
colin henshaw

From the images, looks like it has some age to it - my guess would be an early made for sale piece, early 20th century or even late 19th...

Copious carved decoration is often a sign of a made for sale object, but this seems a transitional type club ??
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:45 AM   #3
kronckew

thanks, that's about what i was thinking. not plain enough to be pre-contact, but not new or more recent 'vintage'. would be nice if it were at least eligible for a birthday card from the queen*. ie. 'antique'. i gather 1850 & earlier are the most desireable (and expensive).

as far as i know,
'antique' = over 100 yrs. old, ie. pre-1915, pre-ww1.
'vintage' = a woolly 50 yrs old-ish, with a date or range, ie. early 20th c. or summer 1916.

*- for y'all back home HM Queen Elizabeth II sends a birthday card to all her subjects on their 100th birthday. i wonder if she'll send herself one in 11 yrs...

being a bit younger, than her, i do not think she'll be sending me one. especially as i am not a UK citizen.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:38 PM   #4
colin henshaw

As far as I know, the Maori adopted European weapons and materials fairly early on in the 19th century, in conjunction with their own traditional weapons, to some extent. However, it seems they just continued to make some in the traditional style right up to the present day, for sale to Europeans, as there was/is a demand for them. It appears a similar situation applies to Native American material, but I could be corrected on these points ?

Some people take the view that the important criterion with ethnographic/tribal objects, is whether they were made for indigenous use or for resale purposes (to Europeans), rather than actual age...

Would be interesting to hear the views of others on these points.

Regards.

Last edited by colin henshaw; 3rd January 2015 at 07:07 AM.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote