Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th August 2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Billman

Default Revolutionary Fascine Knife

Hi
I regularly search the net for new images or information on billhooks, and found a Revolutionary Fascine Knife on ebay USA. I have some queries on this, and tried to contact the seller to voice them, but he/she does not accept messages or questions via eBay, and as I have no other contact details thought I would throw my concerns open for discussion...

The description reads:

A classic utility of the 18th century military engineer in his construction of breastworks and fortifications, this all original fascines (pronounced faseens) knife measuring just over 16" in total length with a heavy hand-forged iron blade and deep maker's touch mark. The leather washer grip with "rat-tail" tang remain intact and solid with period field use wear

However the images of the tool shout at me 19th century or even 20th century Italian roncola (billhook)...

The shape of the blade, the leather handle and the hand guard are all typically Italian. The blade appear to be forged from an old farrier's rasp, most pre-20th century tools are of wrought iron with a welded steel cutting edge...

Although there is mention of a touch-mark, there is no image (except the flattened teeth of the rasp) - so no comparison can be made...

Below two images of the tool on eBay, and some Italian roncole for comparison of blade shape, handle detail and hand guard - plus some typucalItalian makers' touch-marks....

Comments please???

Last edited by Billman; 25th August 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote