Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th March 2006, 01:19 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Interesting sword for comment

I would like some feedback on this sword. It is quite interesting with some unusual features. As you can see from the pics, it is a wide blade, measuring 2 1/2" wide at the hilt with a short tang. The taper is quite gradual, finishing at 1 7/8" at the tip. The tip is rounded and seems to be made this way. Two things that you would not pick up from this picture is that the blade is very thin, perhaps from a very long service life, but is of good steel as the blade exhibits great flex and rebound and also, interestingly, the blade is single edged. In the book, Islamic Swords and Swordsmiths, Yucal mentions that the Mamluks and Ottomans treasured swords from N Africa which he mentions were of high quality, very thin steel. This piece exhibits a lot of age but would love to get some additional thoughts about possible origin of this piece.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

How long is the blade - 29½"?
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 02:41 PM   #3
ingelred

Hello,

could it be an executioner's sword?
The round tip and thin blade are as far as I know characteristical for this kind of sword.
Are there symbols e.g. a wheel or gibbet on the blade?

Greetings, Helge
ingelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
BluErf

Ok, I'm just wild-guessing, but the short tang and the 'fuller' in front of the tang makes this sword very interesting. Could it be originally mounted as a patta or something?
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2006, 05:47 PM   #5
ham

RSWORD,

Image is little more than a tease I'm afraid, but for what we can see I think your analysis is a good one. Let's see some close detail photos.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2006, 03:19 AM   #6
RSWORD

Thanks for the feedback thusfar. To answer everyones question:

Jens- You were close. The blade is a little bit over 30" in length with a 2" long tang

Ingelred- While you do find executioner swords with rounded tip and sometimes of thin cross section, I do not believe this particular example to be such a weapon. There are no markings anywhere on the blade, at least, that are visible and decipherable

BluErf- I believe the short tang was the style of the day for this sword. I suspect it would have been adhered into the handle and the area just below the tang that you are seeing is where the "langet" of the guard blocked that area of blade for many a year, if not centuries, from any cleaning so what is left is a dark patination that gives some small clue as to how the hilt may have looked.

Ham- I am glad to see the overall profile at least peaks a bit of curiosity. Better detailed pictures will certainly help in providing more thought and I will be happy to provide those in a few days when I return home and look forward to additional comment at that time.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote