Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th July 2019, 02:50 PM   #1
mross

Default Help on age and type of kaskara

Hey all,
Just picked this kaskara up after wanting one for a long time. Since I know very little about these except what I learned here, I would like to ask for help on type age etc. I tried to give good pictures on the cross guard and the markings but they are not as sharp as I would have liked. The markings appear to be moons and are on both sides of the blade. I can't really tell if they are stamped or engraved. I will be cleaning the blade up a bit. The markings are at the end of the short fullers. Fullers look to be well executed. Blade is light, distal tapered and straight. The edges are not currently sharp. I can find no other markings other than the moons. Any help greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2019, 09:23 PM   #2
Edster

mross,

Your kaskara blade is called the Sulimani Daud style variation in Sudan. The true SD style, the central fuller extends to the end of the blade. Your's is shorter, but still a common variation. The cross-guard is of the Muthaan style; a nice forged 4-piece unit and not the more modern one-piece from post-1940s.

My guess is that the blade is Sudan-made. I have four examples made in Kassala between likely the Mahdi-era, 1916 and perhaps mid-20th C. All four have similar blade profiles as yours: with a distal taper, with blade width taper to a fairly pointy tip.

The moon-face, though indistinct, is similar to maker's marks on mine as well.

Age? Who knows; say 2nd quarter of 20th C.

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2019, 09:39 PM   #3
mross

Thanks. I had read the Ed Hunley article that Ian had posted and thought that's what it might be. Thanks for confirming as I was going by the articles posted here. I agree with the description it is very well made, light and flexible. When I get it cleaned up I'll post a few more pics. No active red rust but some definite signs of neglect.
Old 27th July 2019, 10:18 PM   #4
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Thanks. I had read the Ed Hunley article that Ian had posted and thought that's what it might be. Thanks for confirming as I was going by the articles posted here. I agree with the description it is very well made, light and flexible. When I get it cleaned up I'll post a few more pics. No active red rust but some definite signs of neglect.
You will find some rust under the dark patches for sure. By the way Edster is the author of the article series on kaskara. I agree with the dating.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 02:50 PM   #5
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
You will find some rust under the dark patches for sure. By the way Edster is the author of the article series on kaskara. I agree with the dating.
Wow, I did not know that. That is very cool that the articles I used to learn about the Kaskara have a current and local origin! Thanks Ed.
Old 29th July 2019, 05:48 PM   #6
Edster

You're very welcome, mross. I wrote the articles for the benefit of the Forum. Also, they were largely informed by other members' posts and swords. Your kaskara contributes to our database of examples. That's how we continue to learn.

Best regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote