Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th February 2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Boswego

Default Best sources for seeing,handling & purchasing Keris ?

I'm new to the world of Keris.I live in Portland,OR and wonder if anyone might have tips on good sources on learning more and collecting Keris.I've been a Collector (Buyer & Seller) of various antiques for 30 years and have always loved ethnographic arts and crafts.In all that time I can't recall seeing too many Keris,at least on the West Coast (obviously I'd see more in SE Asia).Ebay of course has 'em(although one has to be knowledgable to buy here-and I'm not,but I suspect much of it is crap),Gun and Knife Shows,Flea Mkts,etc. Any other suggestions ? The Keris I listed in an earlier Posting I picked-up for $30 at a local Flea Market-solely on it's artistic merit and the fact that I have a decent knowledge of patina and 'feel' (and of course it seemed cheap,at least to Me-had it been a hundred bucks or more-i would have hesitated and mindgamed myself into a corner).Thanks for any help/tips You can think of.