Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2024, 05:39 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default A result of ivory regulations ???

These two Burmese dha are beautiful examples of late 19th C Burmese crafts. The koftgari work on the blades is excellent, and the pictures show how finely cross hatched the blade was prepared for the silver to be applied. It is thought that this work was either done by highly skilled Indian craftsmen, or by Burmese who had trained under Indian masters.

It is distressing to see that neither has its hilt. The second example shows a remnant of the ferrule, and this has been deliberately and crudely cut so that the hilt could be removed.

I've seen several other high end dha that apparently have been mistreated similarly. These have all been in the last 6–9 months. What we are seeing here, I believe, is a response to worldwide restrictions on selling items containing ivory. Some marketers seem to believe it is better to damage a fine work of art to sell it for a meager sum than leave it intact.

The first one below sold for 70 GBP. The other did not receive a bid. What a waste of two lovely swords. No doubt one could rehilt these with silver and they would look fine (but would be expensive these days).

The sad thing is that any ivory on these swords would have been more than 100 years old and likely exempt from CITES regulations.

Attached Images

Old 21st January 2024, 08:09 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

I would gift any ivory items I had rather than have this happen to them. Older collector now have a duty to pass the things on rather than see them vandalised.
Old 21st January 2024, 12:28 PM   #3
Sajen

The second time that I see high quality weapons destroyed by cultural vandals!
Old 21st January 2024, 06:53 PM   #4
drac2k

Please inform me how many elephants were brought back to life by this reckless destruction.
Old 22nd January 2024, 02:15 PM   #5
corrado26

These laws, which completely miss the intended goal, are the result when incompetents without any necessary training call the shots in an institution like the EU Parliament
Old 22nd January 2024, 02:36 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
These laws, which completely miss the intended goal, are the result when incompetents without any necessary training call the shots in an institution like the EU Parliament
Agree with you Udo! But when I go to the States there are similar problems with antique ivory. And the two Burmese dhas had been auctioned in GB and I know that the law there is more bad as in the EU.

Regards,
Detlef
Closed Thread