Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 29th April 2005, 08:47 PM   #31
nechesh

Ian, thanks for stepping in with that reminder. Certainly Kiai seems to be trying to put a great deal of words and beliefs into my mouth that certainly are not my own. I would like to keep this discussion friendly and scholarly and see no need for anyone to get too excitable.
Actually Kaia, rather than denigrate the early Javanese i would put them in the same light as ALL human beings. It seems to me it is the nature of ALL human beings to exaggerate their history and exploits in legend and song. This is true even in "continuous narrative" situations such as the one you claim exists in Jawa. And actually, i would be willing to bet that at least as many Englishmen would be able to tell you about Chapel Perilous and Sir Gawain as Javanese could identify elements of their own mythology. The English certainly spend a lot more school time on their history and legends than we Americans do, but even i as an American am fairly familar with Arthurian legend. I certainly do not claim to know more than you about your own people's legends and myths, but i would be willing to bet that your understanding of such things is the exception rather than the rule because of your intensive study of the keris. I am not so sure that the average man on the streets of Jakarta would have your knowledge of such things.
Just for the record, did the Cihnese monks state that the Javanese they encountered WERE demons, or that they BELIEVED in demons, because i think that the latter statement is probably true, no?
Still i must insist that you keep your statements to me civil and respectful as i have tried to do with you. It is possible to have discussion, debate and even diagreement with out resorting to anger and sarcasm.

Last edited by Rick; 29th April 2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 29th April 2005, 10:31 PM   #32
Kiai Carita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Gentlemen:

Like so many of our discussions of keris, this one is straying into metaphysical areas and conjecture. We seem to wandering off the original topic posted by VVV.

I would also remind folks this Forum asks that we remain respectful and civil in our exchanges with other members. Some of our past keris discussions have become heated and personal, with people taking offense.

Ian.
Ian a keris is a metaphysical object more so than it is a physical object so wandering into the metaphysical is the nature of any discussion on keris.

I do not think that using quotes from an ancient racist monk, who saw the highly civilized Javanese as demons and uncouth, without pointing out that these monks had a racist bias and did not even bother to find out the name of the object they were describing, is respectful. On the contrary it is very racist and I am very shocked that this forum feels that it is scientific to tout racist statements as evidence of the keris being a weapon to kill in Java. Also according to the scientific evidence on the stone reliefs of Loro Jonggrang the keris was created by monkeys and copied by the Java Mpus who were stupider than monkeys. I do take offence when people divorce the Java keris from it's cultural context because I am Javanese, albeit a post modern one, one who is not afraid to state my mind and place high value on the knowledge of my society and my fore-fathers, higher than the colonial pseudo-science being used to rob the people of Java from describing their own spiritual weapon.

Salam Keris
Old 29th April 2005, 11:00 PM   #33
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

OK guys. I think we have heard where people stand.

This thread has lost its way with respect to the original topic and I have locked it. Sorry Vinny -- I hope you got some helpful information.

Ian.
Old 30th April 2005, 05:11 PM   #34
Andrew

Angry

I'm going to jump in here with some general comments and advice. If you have not already done so, please read this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4

Pay particular attention, please, to the following passages:

Quote:
Considering the real-time nature of this forum, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this forum or any entity associated with this forum. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by e-mail. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
Quote:
Flames or insults are strictly against the rules. If you disagree with another member's point of view, do so in a mature and civil manner. Civility and respect towards other participants are unconditionally expected.

If you find yourself being flamed or insulted by another member, please do not dignify that person with a response. Notify a moderator and let us handle it. If you feel you must respond to a flame or insult directly, please do NOT do so on the board - use private messages or e-mail.

Suggestion: If you are consistently or particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

This is an international discussion group, a fact that the Staff is particularly proud of. Threads or replies promoting or expressing intolerant views towards any group (e.g., culture, race, religion, national origin, etc.) are never appropriate and will not be allowed. Please keep in mind that, while communications on the forum are to be conducted in English, many members are not communicating in their native language, and misunderstandings can occur. The forum is home to members from varied nations and cultures, so it is important to remember that how you say something is often as important as what you say.

As I have written before (ad nauseaum) civility will be maintained on these boards. This is the internet, if you are unable to control your emotions and post civily, you shouldn't be here.
Closed Thread