Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 7th September 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
BigG

Default New - Peninsula Malay Anak Alang

This is a new Anak Alang Keris which I had purchased a while back. The blade isnt made of high contrasting pamor material though evidence of this is seen at the Ganja as well as a bit near the tutung/pucuk. The blade is sturdy and takes an attractive anak alang form that curves out word much like that of a Bugis Sepokal. The blade also widens a bit in a Jalak form.

The Bunga Krawang/Ricikan ens in a long tapering form that pleasingly sets of the entire form of the keris. I have seen some eg of entique pcs that has this form before, but have never had the good fortune to be able to cease one for myself. So forthe moment this would have to make do.

The blade originally comes in a sheath and hulu that was far in excess of the size of the blade and was made stiff an rather listless. I comissioned a Trengganu craftsman to redo the entire hilt and sheath for me. I was specific that the sampir was of the Sari Bulan form. But instead of being straight & stiff as it was previously, to have it be angled smoothly just ever so slightly so that the form of the sheath and hulu replicates more the curvature of the blade. I believe that the craftsman has been able to achieve this well from what you can see in the pics.

The hulu was remade and was done so that it would be in proportion to the blade and the sheath... It was to take the form of the Hulu Tapak Kuda, Horse's Hoove with none or very minimal decorative element.

The material for the Hulu, Sampir & the Buntut is made of choiced material. That of a Kemuning Raja, Royal Kemuning. Got it from the jungles of Kelantan via Kuala Lumpur. For a non antique, it has very good chatoyance that may not be very apparent in the pics and also respectable grains. The Batang Serunai - Stem, is made of Sena wood with good grains and chatoyance too.

The pendokok was the last to arrive. An antique silver piece rather full of gunk. Had to clean it a bit. Overall a nice new piece of Anak Alang. I have been told by M'sian collectors that this variance is known as an Anak Alang - Setapak Kaki (A Foots Length). I am uncertain whether this is actually the term for the variance of design or merely describing the size of it which is that of a foot length.

All comments would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigG; 7th September 2010 at 11:51 AM.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
BigG

Based on anecdotal evidence from oral sources, the Anak Alang, in the past is deemed to be an extreme close in stabbing weapon for hand-to-hand combat. Due to its size, it is far easily hidden in the folds of ones clothing and deployed immediately and suddenly when needed. It was deemed suitable for used by women and the young even though its used is not restricted to them alone.

The ricikan of the anak alang, in particular, elongated and tapering forms such as this was more then for just ornamental reasons. It serves the added function of a means of parrying the blade or hands of the opponent. & in extreme conditions could itself be used to inflict wounds or pain compliance to the opponent during combat.

Like the curvature that is found in a Bugis sepokal blade, the curvature of the balde that is seen in this form of anak alang is also deemed via oral traditions and practicaal experimenting on my own, to be able to enhance tissue trauma, during theinitial entry stab and when the blade exits the wound. The curvature also allows for the blade to be employed not just for stabbing but also for slashing action as that curvature conforms to the natural contours of the human body. Specifically the neck, wrist, crook of elbow or rear of the knee.

In that sense, this new Anak Alang conforms well to the traditional emphasis of balance between the need for utility and the aesthetics that is in my personal opinion the basis of the forma of Malay Kerises in the Peninsula, Sumatra and of the Bugis forms too.

Comments would be appreciated. Rgds
Old 7th September 2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Marcokeris

Very nice and full of harmony.
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 01:47 PM   #4
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
Very nice and full of harmony.
Thnx, Marco...
Old 7th September 2010, 11:28 PM   #5
BigG

Default A quatrain for the Sari Bulan

The term Sari Bulan, describing the distinctive look of the cross piece of the sheath, Sampir, is known by a few other terms. The term Sari Bulan is thought to be a shortened version of the Malay phrase Sehari Bulan - (A day old moon). I have been told by a M'sian academic from M'sia of several other versions of this but could only recall 1, known as the Limau Se-ulas (An Orange slice). There appears to be a variation of this design in Perlis known as Pauh Di Layang - (A Mango, Finely Sliced). A Pantun for this..

"Anak bugis pergi berjalan
Mendaki bukit bersama kawan
Sampir keris sehari bulan
Senget sedikit indah menawan"

A gallivanting the Bugis man went
Up a hill with a friend sworn
A day old moon - slightly bent
A thing of beauty - my heart it won
Old 8th September 2010, 01:11 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I think I'll throw this photo up for comments from members who may have not seen it before .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 02:59 PM   #7
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG
The term Sari Bulan, describing the distinctive look of the cross piece of the sheath, Sampir, is known by a few other terms. The term Sari Bulan is thought to be a shortened version of the Malay phrase Sehari Bulan - (A day old moon). I have been told by a M'sian academic from M'sia of several other versions of this but could only recall 1, known as the Limau Se-ulas (An Orange slice). There appears to be a variation of this design in Perlis known as Pauh Di Layang - (A Mango, Finely Sliced). A Pantun for this..

"Anak bugis pergi berjalan
Mendaki bukit bersama kawan
Sampir keris sehari bulan
Senget sedikit indah menawan"

A gallivanting the Bugis man went
Up a hill with a friend sworn
A day old moon - slightly bent
A thing of beauty - my heart it won
I like the pantun! Thanks for sharing!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 11:12 PM   #8
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
I like the pantun! Thanks for sharing!
Different aspect... same culture.. The Keris is a mark status in the past... we all know this... just like samurais who compose poetry to show of their intelligenc... so do Keris owners who compose pantuns...
Old 8th September 2010, 11:32 PM   #9
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I think I'll throw this photo up for comments from members who may have not seen it before .
Is that A Ganjar Se-iras?

Anyway, from the stand point of the asthetics alone, some peopl may have a bit of a quarrel with the form of this blade... but from the utility point of view, this keris is wonderful. It serves a combination of 2 purposes... The slimness & length makes it an excellent stabbing weapon while the bent rather then a true curvature, will give it zero angle of attack in combat, a feature that I believe is highly prized in a fighting blade amongst the Malays & the Bugis.

The fullers too makes this blade terribly firm and strong. This would be a non pamor blade... Besi Hitam Sebatang, literally Single Black Metal.

Though it might offend the sensibilities of some to describe and analyse the utilitarian aspect of the keris... it is essential that we do so for Malay and Bugis kerises as in these 2 cultures, the evaluation of the keris from a utilitarian aspect just as much as the asthetics was consdered of great importance. Although a Keris in Malay and Buginese culture has many other socio-cultural functions, it has never transcended away from is deemed as its basic aspect as a weapon.

Even now, to view and then called out a Malay or Bugis Keris with prominent utilitarian features with such terms as Ganas - Brutal is acceptable and seen as a praise and not deemed an insult at all. To use the phrase ganas tapi menawan/cantik (brutal but atrractive/beautiful) or ganas tapi gemalai (brutal but elegant) is considered a worthy praise.

So my friend your blade is in my humble opinion praise worthy for being able to straddle both the asthetics and the utilitarian.. ganas tapi gemalai brutal but elegant..
Old 9th September 2010, 12:20 AM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Thanks for your comments BigG .

No, it is not an iras .
I was drawn to this keris for the very aspects you describe .
It is a terrible Tooth, yet lovely .
In the Kruwingan(?) the metal is formed into parallel wrinkles running their length .

I was curious to know the origin of the blade .
I know it has so-so Palembang style dress .

But; was it forged in Sumatera ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:33 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG
Different aspect... same culture.. The Keris is a mark status in the past... we all know this... just like samurais who compose poetry to show of their intelligenc... so do Keris owners who compose pantuns...

Big G, please accept my thanks both for your pantun, and for your illuminating comments.

I am aware of the place of the pantun in Malay culture, I am also aware of your fondness for it, and have read the ones you have published on your site. However, some other readers of this Forum may not understand the pantun, nor its place in Malay culture.

Since the pantun is a poetic form that is unique to Malay culture, perhaps you may care to further demonstrate your intelligence by explaining the form and place within Malay culture of the pantun.

It is always difficult to translate verse in one language into verse in a different language, if I may, I would most respectfully suggest that you accurately translate the Malay language of the original pantun into English, rather than attempt to retain the poetic essence in English. By attempted retention of a poetic form you lose the essence of the original Malay.

When we translate poetry from one language to another, it is in general accepted that the meaning of the poem should be prioritised over poetic form. Sometimes it is possible to retain both meaning and form, especially where similar languages and cultures are involved, but in translation from Malay to English the cultural and language difference is simply too great to permit this.

For example, consider what happens when Yevgeny Yevtushenko is translated to English, or consider the difficulties that can be encountered when we try to translate ,say, Lord Byron into Malay.

It is a sad fact of literature that ideas and forms that work well in one language or culture often do not work very well at all in a different language or culture.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 03:09 AM   #12
PenangsangII

I love the phrase

"Brutal but elegant..." kind of remind me of my self.......
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 03:53 AM   #13
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Big G, please accept my thanks both for your pantun, and for your illuminating comments.

I am aware of the place of the pantun in Malay culture, I am also aware of your fondness for it, and have read the ones you have published on your site. However, some other readers of this Forum may not understand the pantun, nor its place in Malay culture.

Since the pantun is a poetic form that is unique to Malay culture, perhaps you may care to further demonstrate your intelligence by explaining the form and place within Malay culture of the pantun.

It is always difficult to translate verse in one language into verse in a different language, if I may, I would most respectfully suggest that you accurately translate the Malay language of the original pantun into English, rather than attempt to retain the poetic essence in English. By attempted retention of a poetic form you lose the essence of the original Malay.

When we translate poetry from one language to another, it is in general accepted that the meaning of the poem should be prioritised over poetic form. Sometimes it is possible to retain both meaning and form, especially where similar languages and cultures are involved, but in translation from Malay to English the cultural and language difference is simply too great to permit this.

For example, consider what happens when Yevgeny Yevtushenko is translated to English, or consider the difficulties that can be encountered when we try to translate ,say, Lord Byron into Malay.

It is a sad fact of literature that ideas and forms that work well in one language or culture often do not work very well at all in a different language or culture.
Dear Mr Maisey,

Thank you for your advice... Perhaps I should submit my pantuns to you for your approval before submitting it here... then again... maybe not...
Old 9th September 2010, 04:46 AM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Oh dear me no!

I would never presume to accept such responsibility.

That "--- maybe not." should be a "definitely not".

These pantuns are your work, and should remain your work, apart from which this form is completely outside my repertoire.

I would most respectfully request however, that you note my comments were made as a respectful suggestion.

The nature of a suggestion is that it something presented for consideration.

The nature of advice is that it is offered as a recommendation for future action.

I have not offered you any advice, merely a suggestion.

I would hesitate to offer my advice in any respect to one as intelligent as you clearly are, Big G.

The art of the pantun is not one I can claim, however, I can claim some small aptitude in some other literary fields, and some would consider that my respectful suggestion could perhaps be considered by one wishing to showcase his literary skills.

In any case, my suggestion in respect of your translations is a side issue, consider it, or do not consider it, this is of absolutely no moment to me. It matters not one iota to me if your original pantuns in Malay lose much of their cleverness and beauty when you attempt to replicate in English.

However, may I repeat my request that you who are so skilled in this literary form devote just a little of your time and intelligence to explaining for those who are outside your culture the place of the pantun in Malay culture, and its form.In the absence of such understanding, I fear that much of your art is neither appreciated nor understood by many amongst us.

As an example, if an educated person whose cultural and language base was English encountered a pantun, he would judge it by standards within his experience, and as such he would very probably undervalue it, having in his mind the rhyming games of children.

My suggestion is that you consider provision of an explanation of the pantun and its place in your culture, in order that your art be given the weight that is its due by those lacking an understanding of this aspect of your literary tradition.
Old 9th September 2010, 07:43 AM   #15
BigG

Quote:
I would most respectfully request however, that you note my comments were made as a respectful suggestion.
Yes, like others here... I find that I am starting to get well acquainted with your notion of respect...

And to all forumers, my most humble apolagy for my childish rhymes... Hope that my lack of applied intelligence has not detract you too much...

now then back to the forum...
Old 9th September 2010, 08:25 AM   #16
BigG

Quote:
I was drawn to this keris for the very aspects you describe .
It is a terrible Tooth, yet lovely .
Yes I agree... the utilitarian aspect of a weapon is often times overlook... like the Bowie... to the uninitiated its size & form can be so lopsidedly unproportionate that it has been described as comical... it is only when you understand the dual purpose origin of the Bowie as both tool & weapon that you would be be able to aprreciate it better.

Quote:
In the Kruwingan(?) the metal is formed into parallel wrinkles running their length.
Need to look at this again in detail cant see it at first look...

Quote:
I was curious...
...was it forged in Sumatera ?
I must admit that I lack a fine eye for detail like many here... Maybe Alam & BluErf can comment more on this... The other problem is that Malay Keris forms do not have the kind of precise pakem conformity as would Javanese and other Kejawen (Javanese influence) pieces. In fact it is not wrong to state that it does not have the same kind of conceptual grasp of the term pakem as Pakem is seen and adhered to in Java, Bali etc...

I can only make a guesstimate from what I can see here of the blade material and the ricikan/bunga krawang that it doesnt look like it is a Peninsula anak alang form or manufacture. However, I am uncertain of whether this is a Riau or Sumatran form. I am leaning towards Sumatra in form & manufacture at a guts level though..

I am afraid thats the best I can do Rick...
Old 9th September 2010, 08:57 AM   #17
A. G. Maisey

Big G, I accept that you are sensitive, refined, and rather precious personality, and it grieves me deeply that you are unable to accept my compliments as they are intended.

At no time have I implied that your skilfully crafted pantuns are childish rhymes, rather I offered a suggestion that may avoid them being thought of as such by those who are unfamiliar with your culture.

I miss the point of your comment in respect of your "--- lack of applied intelligence---"

Only a moment ago, in your post #8 , you likened the composing of pantuns to an exercise in intelligence, and I for one would not debate this with you.

As for respect, it does tend to find its own level.

You know Big G, I once knew a woman who could read a telephone book and find a story between the lines.

I rather suspect that you may have a similar ability.
Old 9th September 2010, 09:05 AM   #18
BigG

Quote:
it grieves me deeply that you are unable to accept my compliments as they are intended...
Ah yes... your inimitable compliments... getting an accelerated acquaintance with that too..
Old 9th September 2010, 12:15 PM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Exclamation

Gentlemen, please continue this repartee elsewhere such as in PM. It has no place here.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 12:17 PM   #20
A. G. Maisey

Certainly David.

Thank you for your intervention.
Old 9th September 2010, 04:28 PM   #21
BigG

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Gentlemen, please continue this repartee elsewhere such as in PM. It has no place here.
I have no interest in engaging in this anymore... thnx David