Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:14 AM   #1
Berkley

Default Jezails: Collection or addiction?

Last year I acquired my first jezail, and felt that I had filled a gap in my collection of exotic firearms. Apparently some part of my collecting psyche was not fulfilled by just one. Having recently gone through the same thought process as RDGAC and arrived at a similar result, I feel emboldened by the resurrection of his jezail thread to put forward the latest Afghan hound to follow me home.
First is a collage of the seller's photos.
Next the lock, analyzed by a kind (and tactful) friend on the British Militaria Forum thusly:
Quote:
the lock may have begun its days as an Ordnance India type 1. I don't know where the cock came from but it isn't original. Someone did a little extra engraving around the sear screw on the front of the plate. I don't think the tumbler is original, and probably due to the differences in where the replacement cock sits on the stop, the main spring is perilously close to going off the edge of the tumbler. Surprisingly the springs and screws look right. Someone at some point in time took exception to the crown.
Next a view of the entire assemblage after cleaning of accumulated dirt and dry red rust.

To RDGAC, my admiration for the lovely barrel on yours, and my sympathy for succumbing to the apparently insatiable lure of the jezail.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote