Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th July 2006, 12:42 AM   #1
sabertasche

Default From Swords to Tattoos

I have a strange request guys - I want to forge my love of Islamic edged weapons with that of my personal "self". I've decided at the advanced age of 45 to get a tattoo and would like it to be in Arabic or Persian. I've seen somewhere a cartouche on a sword which meant "Made by God" or "Made for God".

Does anyone have examples of this cartouche or other pictures that I can work with this concept?

Greg
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Radu Transylvanicus

Well, you can take a wild guess why no one is elbowing their way to post here and you known better but i'll take my chances and throw my 50 cents in. I just like to keep it a tad real, I mean historical:

1. I really like the old coat of arms of Persia, you know than lion holding a shamshir and the rising sun. Goes back to the beginning of Qajars in late 1700;s or earliear. Here is a reminder but look further for a better copy, they are out there:
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/ir~39wp.gif

2. Take a look at the current flag of Saudi Arabia, blends both of your requisites, Islamic arms and religious caligraphy: a saif and the shahada. In case you need a visual reminder: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/s/sa.gif

3. There are so many swords or pieces of armour with inscriptions out there, just see what catches your fancy. There is so much out there from Ottoman, Persian or Mughal, its sick. Here is a Khula-Khoud helmet design...
ex: https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_50.87.jpg

P.S. Dont parade something like that on your car Also keep I say to keep it historical as real, youre English speaking Caucasian dude living in North America unless youre the next Eminem
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Valjhun

Thumbs up

1. I find the Sultan Tughra to be an intricate and suggestive form. It is often stamped on antique ottoman works of better quality. (see the photo below)

2. The signature in cartouche of Assad Allah of Isfahan the legendary persian blademaker. I find it the most appropriate for an islamic sword collector. KLIK

Well I also want my second tatoo (I have a japanese dragon on my right shoulder) but I'll decide from the two mentioned above.

As Radu mentioned it before, do not paint on your car any of thoose symbols uneder any circumstances. Some people feel a real genetic anger towards them

Go on Sabertasche, as we Slovans use to say, if you do that at your 45, you're a Tsar. Anything you choose, please attach some photos when it is done!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Valjhun; 27th July 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 03:42 PM   #4
ariel

This Forum had a t-shirt for sale, with multiple pics of various swords; you can use it as a pattern for the entire torso...
It is good you are collecting swords and not something else.
A Professor of Ophthalmology I knew got a present from his Fellows for his retirement: a big (very big!) picture of a human eye with his portrait in the pupil. His reaction was " Luckily, I decided against becoming a Gynecologist early on!"
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote