Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th December 2023, 10:00 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default visayan sword for identification

Hello friends,

This just came in. It came from a family that originally hails from Negros (oriental/occidental). The son, the seller, tells us that this was his father's prized possession.

Is this this blade called? the scabbard feature is that, in our opinion, of Leyte origin (or bohol?). The blade eludes me and my father- it may be a talibong but we're not definite.

Any info is well appreciated.

Regards and by the way...advanced Merry Christmas!

Salud,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 01:01 PM   #2
chmorshuutz

I'd be leaning towards Leyte. The scabbard itself bears great resemblance with the modern ones from Carigara. I haven't seen (so far) similar scabbards in other parts of Visayas.

If it's indeed from Leyte, then sansibar. But I'm not sure which type, I only know binatanggas, tinamban, tinamban lawis and oyon.
chmorshuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2023, 12:26 AM   #3
tanaruz

Default visayan sword for identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorshuutz View Post
I'd be leaning towards Leyte. The scabbard itself bears great resemblance with the modern ones from Carigara. I haven't seen (so far) similar scabbards in other parts of Visayas.

If it's indeed from Leyte, then sansibar. But I'm not sure which type, I only know binatanggas, tinamban, tinamban lawis and oyon.
Hi,

I got in touch with some 'pandays' in Leyte and they informed me that the blade is not Leyte made. A suggestion was made that this particular blade was made in Western Samar (called a binalhag with a 'talisay'* hilt design).
*Talisay- from the word TINALISAY- referring to a 'gray colored rooster with some green'. A fighting cock.

Salud,

Yves
tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote