Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2007, 01:01 PM   #61
cahaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
I received an email from the author and together the photo of the book. I dont know if the book is ready or not, but next week I'ld know some more about the book.
Hi all,
just info:
as i know the book is not ready now, i hope ready in this year
cahaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 11:22 AM   #62
VVV

I have recieved Karsten Sejr Jensen's new "book". It's a CD about Keris from all over the archipelago.
As I am a bit biased I leave it up to other forumites to review if it's the ultimate book of what has so far been published...
More info is published here

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4926

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 12:15 PM   #63
Alam Shah

I recieved the Krisdisk. My opinion... good handy reference to carry around. Ideal for any keris collector. Perhaps, I shouldn't comment. I might be bias as well... let us see what others have to say.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 01:23 PM   #64
Naga Sasra

Question

VVV and Sharial,
I am courious as to why you both feel you are biased regarding the issue of this CD?
Of cause no explanation is required from either of you, I was just wondering why the bias
Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 04:33 PM   #65
VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Sasra
VVV and Sharial,
I am courious as to why you both feel you are biased regarding the issue of this CD?
Of cause no explanation is required from either of you, I was just wondering why the bias
Both of us has some of our keris on the disk.
And I have tried to help Karsten with comments and feedback while it still was in production.

Michael
Old 19th July 2007, 04:48 PM   #66
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
And I have tried to help Karsten with comments and feedback while it still was in production.
Michael
hmmm...seems like an added reason to pick it up then.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 06:12 PM   #67
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV

Michael

Can we use Paypal ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 12:25 PM   #68
VVV

Hi Rick,

For ordering info please go to

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4926

Michael
Old 21st July 2007, 03:39 PM   #69
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Thanks Michael ...
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 05:56 PM   #70
Michel

Smile The Invincible krises 2

Marcokeris informed us sometime in April that Mrs Ghinringhelli had produced a second book on keris. Alam Shah (I think) gave us the address of the Publisher and I immediately ordered one copy that was supposed to be published in November only.
Well, good news, I receive my copy today !
First impressions : Great book, with good illustrations in A4 format.
A few pages of explanations about who is a keris, what is a keris, what a keris can do, how is a keris forged and then starts the collection of Mr.Ghiringhelli with a photo and a page of explanations per weapon. It even shows a few keris for woman "keris wanita" as Mrs. Ghinringhelli calls them.
At the end an interesting bibliography.
I am very happy with this book that I have not yet read but glanced upon only.
Hope that a few of you have received it or will receive it and will comment.
Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 06:21 PM   #71
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
Marcokeris informed us sometime in April that Mrs Ghinringhelli had produced a second book on keris. Alam Shah (I think) gave us the address of the Publisher and I immediately ordered one copy that was supposed to be published in November only.
A few pages of explanations about who is a keris, what is a keris, what a keris can do, how is a keris forged and then starts the collection of Mr.Ghiringhelli with a photo and a page of explanations per weapon. It even shows a few keris for woman "keris wanita" as Mrs. Ghinringhelli calls them.
Dear Michel,
Two weeks ago in Jogjakarta (Indonesia), Marco gave me the original small book of "Kris Gli Invincibili" (The Invincible Krises). Amazing! I really enjoy to see the pictures of Vanna and Mario Ghiringhelli's collection. The krises and sheaths are in good classic style of Nusantara kerises (not only from Java). Good handles collection too. (Thank you, Marco). I hope someday, to get the second edition that I think it will be as amazing as the first book. Bravo...!

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 05:05 PM   #72
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
I am very happy with this book that I have not yet read but glanced upon only.
Hope that a few of you have received it or will receive it and will comment.
Michel
Yes Michel the new Mrs. Ghiringhelli book is really good . The photos are excellent and the quality of paper also (...on pag. 116-117 i saw the best keris panjang of my life.....astounding.....breathless..... )

In Yogya another two new book about keris
In Yogya another two new book about keris now:
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 05:15 PM   #73
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
I received an email from the author and together the photo of the book. I dont know if the book is ready or not, but next week I'ld know some more about the book.
The author told me the new book will be finished about the end of the year. I saw some pages and really the quality of photos and researches would be excellent (i hope the text will be in bahasa but also in english language).
I put here a picture of the new book
Attached Images

Old 6th August 2007, 10:36 AM   #74
Michel

Default Books on Keris

Hi Marco,
You seem to have very special connections with the world of book Edition. You knew before hand the publication of Mrs Ghiringhelli book, you announce now this new book in Jogjakarta. In any case thank you for informing us, this type of information is very useful for collectors.
Yes the keris panjang of page 116/117 in Mrs Ghiringhelli's book is impressive. It is the first, that I have seen, that carries these perforations in the blade and it appears to me as specially long with 62 cm vs 55 and 50 cm for my 3 keris panjang. As in "Traditional weapons of Indonesian Archipelago", page 64, van Zonneveld, mentions lengths of 73cm, 67cm and 57.5cm I am wondering if my keris panjang are not specially short ! ?
What I like in Mrs Ghiringhelli's book is that it shows keris that are not of kratong quality, the kind of weapons you can dream of but have not the means to obtain. They are all interesting, with something special, but they are not out of reach of a normal collector. This book presents, with good photos, a collection of weapons that many of us could have.
Thank you Marco for letting us know about this book.
Regards
Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 11:29 AM   #75
VVV

Default Short review

I have now read The Invincible Krises 2 by Mrs Vanna Ghiringhelli.
What's interesting with this book, like Michel also mentioned, is that most of the Keris depicted aren't flamboyant showpieces.
Instead they have been selected for their interesting features that Mrs Ghiringhelli comments.
Compared to Karsten's Krisdisk, which is more of an in depth encyclopedic work, this is like having a conversation with the authour on her Keris.
I especially appreciate the pages about female Keris and also the cultural, as well as mystical and symbolic, explanations of some of the features.
Even if some of her ideas could be questioned she also gives, most of the time, good references for her views.
On the downside I would have appreciated more than one picture of each Keris.
Also I miss explanations on why she doesn't follow traditional regional classifications of some of the hilts and Keris (mostly on Sumatran Keris)
But overall I am very happy that I bought this book and I have learned a lot from it as well as got some new ideas for further studies.

Michael
Old 5th November 2007, 08:26 AM   #76
Marcokeris

Another new book about keris is "the magickal kris".
The book is about combat by keris written by an expert in fighting: Mr.Ger Giesen.
In the book there is a chapter (part 3 : the kris and his meaning in javanese culture) written by dutch anthropologist dr. Hilga Prins (work's author: kris and kosmos ). Ms. Prins' written is very interesting and well can joint to latest Ms. Ghiringhelli's work.
The book is cheap and is easy to order to "van Stockum Boekverkopers"
Attached Images

Old 5th November 2007, 09:56 AM   #77
VVV

Thanks Marco!!!

Michael