Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2014, 12:18 AM   #1
Pusaka

Default keris sajen majapahit marks

Has anyone made a study of the marks often seen on these blades some call fingerprints. I am speaking of the deliberate indentations made along the blade of such keris. Specifically I want to know if the number of indentations follows numeric rules (like the luk in keris) such as always being an odd number or if some numbers are seen more then others such a 3 or 7 also if older ones tend to have a number that differs from later ones eg fewer or more indents.

The oldest wavy sajen keris I have seen have all been 3 luk blades, would be interesting to see if the oldest straight bladed keris sajen tend to have three indents along the length of the blade.

I know some are going to say these indents are the result of shrinkage whilst cooling, I personally don't believe that, I think they are deliberate markings.
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 12:36 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

This thread may be of interest:-

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=PIJIT
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 12:40 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Ha, i was just going to link that post for Pusaka, Alan. You beat me to the punch…or rather "picit"…
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 01:01 AM   #4
Pusaka

I read it before I posted But it does not answer my question about a numerical study of these markings, I think they are blessing markings and are a permanent feature of a blessing that has taken place (the real ones, not the faked ones).
Old 13th August 2014, 04:13 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Well, i suppose one could call them "blessing markings". I have always considered the act to be one way in which the empu "charges" the keris. I have a few of these which i am pretty sure are the real deal. None of them are keris sajen btw, but they are fairly early talismanic blades. One has 3 imprints (2 on on side and one on the other). I also have one with 5 which all seem to have been pressed from the same side. I think that with most things relating to keris the key factor in that the number of imprints will be odd just as with the number of luk. But yes, this is indeed, most probably a spiritual/magickal act by the empu. It may not serve the same purpose or be meant to deliver the same exact energy into the blade in each and every case though. I would think that the exact nature/purpose of the act will probably not be discernible at this point in time however.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Pusaka

I call them blessing marks just for want of a better word but they are actually produced during the process of transforming a keris from a dead keris to an alive keris, or if you prefer a charged keris.

The esoteric method of doing this is still known to some and is a very secret thing if you are passed this information.