Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th June 2013, 02:00 AM   #1
G.William

Default Kaskara with 2 crescent moons

Was given this Kaskara from a friend with a large collection of items. Most of which do not fit within the requirements of this forum. Any information or thoughts would be welcome.
thanks in advance.
G.W.
Attached Images

G.William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

G.W. thank you so much for posting this! and especially for the crisp clear photos. Please never underestimate the worth of an item in considering whether to post it or not. There are no standards as far as I know in whether an item is worthy of posting, the only 'restrictions' are certain items that exceed the scope of the theme here.
Actually many ethnographic weapons are indeed reasonably modern, but of course traditionally observed in style, much as this kaskara.

This sound example certainly has had better days, but is genuinely a tribesmans weapon probably from Kassala days (around 60 or more years ago) and the 'dukari' (moons) are remarkably crisp. These are well described in Briggs, and particularly in work done by Ed Hunley here (his 1984 paper, posted in archives here).

The blade type is well known in regions in Sudan with the triple fullers and is typically of native make.

Interesting example of these well used tribal weapons! This could be even older as it seems the dark discoloration might be varnish? or other preservative used in early collections. If so, could even extend into the campaigns of 1898 and into pre WWI period.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Edster

G.W.

Interesting sword. I agree with Jim that it is probably Kassala made and perhaps early 20th Century. However, It has a couple interesting attributes that I don't understand.

I'm not positive that native Kassala blades, or other native blades for that matter, typically had a hole in the tang and were pinned to the wooden handle. I seem to think the wood is wedged into the cross guard for stability. Could be a personal memory thing. I think European blades had a hole in them. (Edit: Kassala smiths put a hole in the tang to pin the blade. Fig. 7, p. 13 of my sword paper shows a photo of two recently finished blades with a hole in the wood.)

Second. As Jim observes the three blade fullers are very common, but as I recall typically only a single fuller was full length. The other two usually stop about a third of the way down. Your blade has all three full length. Could be a native variation. Also, the blade tip looks a little off symmetric. Maybe a re-shape? Could be the lighting of the photo.

Just a couple of observations for others to clarify.

Regards,
Ed

Last edited by Edster; 14th June 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
G.William

Thanks for your Info, Jim and Edster. I will post better pictures of the areas that you speak of. Jim, as for the patina of the blade, I rubbed it down with a product called T-9 on a cotton rag. It is a metal surface sealing product. As I did this some surface rust was removed. Sorry to say that I have no real knowledge to the history, as the friend who gave me this is no longer living.

G.W.
G.William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Iain

I already commented on this particular example sometime ago on Sword Forum, however I'll share a few more thoughts here as well.

As Ed well notes, the configuration of the fullers is somewhat atypical. The central fuller is usually the longest, with the other two typically extending for only a third of the blade length. Because of this the position of the half moon stamps are oddly placed close to the edge - typically placed closer to the center of the blade at the termination of the two outer fullers.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote