Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd January 2005, 12:27 PM   #1
madmax

Default help on identifying this dagger pls

hi guys im new to the forum and just purchased this dagger,im not sure exactly wot it is apart from it says its a keris dagger found in the maly archipelago islands any information would be appreciated thx.
Attached Images

madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Henk

It is a piso ni datu. A dagger from Sumatra, Batak.

The hilt is a human figure and the figure on top of the sheath is mostly an animal. When sheated the human figure is mounted on the back of an animal.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 03:34 PM   #3
madmax

thx any idea of its ageand wot it is made off ( i think looks like wood but not 100% sure) also does any1 know wot the markings on the blade??
excuse for all the questions but new to this sort of stuff although it is intersting
Old 2nd January 2005, 03:46 PM   #4
nechesh

Hi madmax, welcome. As Henk pointed out, this is piso. Incase there is any confusion, it is NOT a keris. Yours appears to be one made specifically for export. It has an old look, but i suspect it is fairly new. Hard to tell about the materials. I would personally have a hard time leaving any of my collection under glass and you may have to remove it to be sure of it's make-up. Given the nature of pieces made for export it could be wood or it might be some kind of composit that is molded.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 04:04 PM   #5
madmax

thx nechesh first off y would you not leave your collection under glass?? and why do you say it could be pretty recent? is there any way of realy identifying its age?
Old 2nd January 2005, 04:49 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Hello Madmax, moisture and rust can not be controled under glass ,let alone oil dressing ,and most important caressing and feeling the historic and mystical power of your hard collected pieces.Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 05:42 PM   #7
nechesh

Tim answered some of your questions. As to the age question, i have found that most Malay blades with inscriptions from the Qur'an tend to be newly made for tourist trade. Likewise for blades that come presented encased in glass. You will probably have a hard time determining the true sheath material without removing this piece from the frame. If it is a molded composit material you will know your answer for sure.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 10:02 PM   #8
Henk

Thanks Nechesh, I didn't want to start about the materials first. About the blade my first feeling was when I saw the arab characters that it was pretty new and as you pointed out made for export.
The sheath and grip looks to me a moulded composit too. If it is wood then it is a pretty piece of carving and despite the blade not so bad after all. But I'm worried about the authenticity of this piso
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote