Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th August 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
Gustav

Default Maranao battle kris

Dear All,

most of you have seen this kris posted already for nearly three month on a well known business site

Well, I thought, this would be one of the nicest kris of this kind, and after the price reached a more reasonable level I made an irresistible offer

I searched for the original auction where this kris was sold, and find it. It was indeed a Roosevelt family item as stated by seller, yet far more interesting is the statement of last owner George Roosevelt III:

" This Moro Kris Sword was brought back from the Philipines by Rear Admiral Walter S. Crosley during the Moro Insurrection at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. It was a personal weapon and not a presentation piece."

Walter S. Crosley most probably served on USS "Baltimore" at this time, I found a picture of him as a Lieutenant (Junior Grade) from 1899 on this ship "in Asiatic waters". USS Baltimore entered Manila bay at 1st May 1898 and remained on the Asiatic station until 23 May 1900, when she sailed for the U.S.

So most probably 1900 would be the latest date Walter S. Crosley could aquire this kris. The tag on the sheath says "From Cottabatto".

I were very thankful if a knowledgable person could give me some information about Walter S. Crosley in these years, or at what time USS"Baltimore" harboured in Cotabato.

The kris was attractive in my eyes becouse of nice fretwork on gangya (with 13 the highest number of holes I have seen with this kind of fretwork), the nice and big bunti wood Kakatua hilt, the complete scabbard and the cord attached to the hilt.

I wanted to post some pictures before I will start with the cleaning and repair of the sheath.

The length of the blade: 60,5 cm, overall 76 cm. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Gustav

The ferrules of hilt are silver, baca-baca looks like copper. most interesting is the cord attached to the hilt. I only once have seen very similar one in this thread, post#50:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...aranao+sundang

Is there some newer information about these cords? As I understand, Cato says they could be Anting-Anting like Munsala or designed to tie the kris to the hand.
Attached Images

Old 16th August 2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Gustav

The sheath has an old repair, which I intend to do oncemore in a more careful way. The binding at the bottom end of stem seems to be an old fishing line. the both halves are secured with a small dowel, which could be original.

There are two markings (lines) at both ends of the stem. Perhaps metal bands were intended.
Attached Images

Old 16th August 2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Gustav

I were also very thankful for any professional advice regarding cleaning and preserving this kris, especially the cord, becouse it is VERY fragile.
Old 16th August 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Sajen

Hello Gustav,

nice kris with great provenance! I have watched this auction as well and when I decided to give a offer it was sold!
Be careful by cleaning the silver ferrules at the handle, most probable they are only silver plated. About the cord bands: I would let them like this and handle them careful, I have had the same problem, look here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11830

BTW, great pictures!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thanks for posting this with the provenance. It helps so much. Supports the look which is Maguindanao (very close to Maranao).

As far as the cord is concerned, it may be both a mansala and a way of wrapping the hand around the hilt.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 02:00 AM   #7
ThePepperSkull

I would have made an offer had I not already acquired a similar piece beforehand. That being said, I was watching with interest to see how much it went for. These straight-bladed maguindanao/maranao pieces are really beautiful. As a practitioner of eskrima and indonesian Silat, I really have come to appreciate the balance of simplicity and elegance in these pieces.

Beautiful Kris, wonderful provenance! I hope to hear more of Mr Crosley should you come around to finding anything else.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Gustav

Dear Detlef, Jose and PepperScull, thank you very much for your comments.

About the cleaning - I am inclined to preserve a certain "museum look" and clean the silver and wooden parts of it very minimaly. I just feel some discrepancy when I see an old hilt wrapping together with absolutely shining silver ferrules. It seems to me, this is the place, where the preservation of tribal art, where patina is very important, meets the keris culture.

Jose, does it mean, we see this kind of fretwork (Greneng) with holes only in Maguindanao?
Old 17th August 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

So far I would say yes, although I may be looking into this...........

What strengthens this hypothesis is the provenance of this piece.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote