Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th October 2006, 06:56 PM   #1
mross

Default barong comments on ended auction

What do you all think of this barong?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1

Judging shape I was guessing 19th C. Seller said blade was not laminated. So that set up a conflict. The pictures did not tell much of a tale either. Good enough to get me interested, but not good enough to really show anything. I wasn't sure of the scabbard. I tend to be cautious about stuff coming out of the Philippines. What do you think?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

I say this is more recent post WW2 the hilt just does not look 19th century to me.

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 5th October 2006 at 08:42 PM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Dajak

There ia a lot of new stuff coming out off the Asian islands most off the real
old stuff was already taken out off the country long time ago
there is still real stuff overthere but not for cheap bargains

regards , Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 09:02 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Hard to say ...

mross:

Impossible to assess the blade for lamination from the pictures provided. It appears to have a coat of varnish over most of it. The leaf-shaped blade may be quite old, possibly late 19th C., but the kakatua hilt looks more recent. If Cato is to be believed, the flat scabbard could be late 19th or early 20th C. but I would not bet on it.

Possibly an old barung blade and scabbard with more recent hilt, but the pictures are too poor to really judge this one.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 09:30 PM   #5
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
There ia a lot of new stuff coming out off the Asian islands most off the real
old stuff was already taken out off the country long time ago
there is still real stuff overthere but not for cheap bargains

regards , Ben
That was my reason for being wary of stuff from the Philippines. And one of my reasons for not bidding, even if the price was tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
mross:

Impossible to assess the blade for lamination from the pictures provided. It appears to have a coat of varnish over most of it. The leaf-shaped blade may be quite old, possibly late 19th C., but the kakatua hilt looks more recent. If Cato is to be believed, the flat scabbard could be late 19th or early 20th C. but I would not bet on it.

Possibly an old barung blade and scabbard with more recent hilt, but the pictures are too poor to really judge this one.

Ian.
I asked the seller he said not laminated. However, he may not know as his dealings seem to be in records and such. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt and believed him. The blade shape is what originally caught my eye. It seems classic 19th C. The hilt I must admit I am clueless on. I could not judge on it, so I did what any clueless indvidual does, I ignored it. The scabbard just did not seem right to me. I can't explain that one. Anyway thanks for the education, I love this place. From what I saw and am reading this my be FrankenBarong.

Last edited by mross; 5th October 2006 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
mross is offline   Reply With Quote