Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th October 2015, 06:00 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile MEXICO, ESPADA CORTA

THIS SWORD WAS IDENTIFIED AS A ESPADA CORTA , MEXICO CIRCA 1800 IT IS 25.5 INCHES LONG. I KNOW VERY LITTLE OF THESE BUT THERE ARE THOSE WHO LIKE THEM SO ENJOY.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 06:22 PM   #2
drac2k

Count me in as one who appreciates these swords ; your's is very nice !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 06:44 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You know what a weakness I have for these Barry! so I cannot resist saying something on this beautiful example
While my notes are not at hand, what I can recall is that this is a known but unusual form of the classic 'espada ancha', the often utilitarian frontier sword of Spain's new frontiers in Mexico.

While most of these short heavy bladed swords seem to follow hilt forms of earlier European hangers from 17th into hunting swords of 18th centuries, this unusual style it seems to me has been attributed to Potosi regions (Adams, 1985).While that I don't think can be exactly substantiated, I have seen these 'hook pommel' types in Northern Mexico/ New Mexico border region provenance. I think they can be set in the early years of the 1800s, but more 1830s I would think. The scabbard leather work resembles the type of scabbards from post revolution in 1820s.

While many espada anchas of the late 18th century often used the well known 'dragoon' type blades (usually with Spanish motto) these heavy and apparently blacksmith forged blades were I believe produced in frontier regions in the early to mid 19th century. Note the characteristic 'uptick' in the point of the blade. The zoomorphic pommel appears to be a snake, which is of course keenly observed in the lore and history of the country of Mexico.

I had not heard the 'espada corta' term used, and am curious on that note, though it is not particularly key.....the sword is outstanding!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 09:06 PM   #4
ulfberth

Hi Vandoo,

As Jim noted, what a beautiful example of an artisan made blade, the hook like pommel reminds me a bit on the Italian machete type beidana saber.

Kind regards

Ulfberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 02:16 AM   #5
machinist

Yours is remarkable for its preservation and having the sheath as well. swords like this seem to have done much work in peacetime as machetes and I believe butchering deer and cattle. I have one with an edge worn to maximum dullness and the back of the blade has the mark of many hammer blows as if someone wanted to quarter a large animal. On mine the branch of the handquard is missing, just two bumps remain with a bit of brass solder marking a failed repair
Attached Images

machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 05:09 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinist
Yours is remarkable for its preservation and having the sheath as well. swords like this seem to have done much work in peacetime as machetes and I believe butchering deer and cattle. I have one with an edge worn to maximum dullness and the back of the blade has the mark of many hammer blows as if someone wanted to quarter a large animal. On mine the branch of the handquard is missing, just two bumps remain with a bit of brass solder marking a failed repair

Thank you for sharing this great example as well!!
I hope there will be more entries on this thread as these important arms of the Spanish Colonial frontiers deserve some attention.
Yours has the same hook type pommel, while most of the examples commonly seen have the simpler guard strap peened to the pommel.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote